[SOLVED] - Problem when installing additional disk

33 minutes ago, FrozenGamer said:

if i had formatted, but the data mover had not been run (i turned it off for now) - would parity still in theory be good? 

No, removing the disk after formatting would need a pairity re-sync, there wouldn't be many errors, but there would be some, and a single error is one too many.

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, FrozenGamer said:

if i had formatted ... would parity still in theory be good?

A formatted disk is not a clear disk. A clear disk is all zeros and has no effect on parity.

An empty formatted disk contains the filesystem metadata that represents an empty top level folder ready to receive new folders and files. Format is a write operation and all write operations update parity, so parity would have been changed if you had formatted the disk.

• Like 1

OK - so i have put another drive in slot 14- which was formatted xfs and pulled from the 2nd unraid system.  It was unmountable - so i formatted it, at this point it is formatting as far as i know, but in doing so it is reading from all drives which is more like a parity check right?  Is it normal in this case - see screenshot.  If so, i will mark this thread solved  I assumed that a format would not require reading of the rest of the drives, but to be just writing zeros to the new drive. 

Thanks again everyone for your help.

unraid pipe screen 4.png

Edited by FrozenGamer
better screenshot - showing entire unraid screen