setup dual nics 1 for internet one for lan

dalmar72

Is it possible to have 2 network cards setup, I want to connect my lan to eth1  but have all internet activity form unraid and all dockers go out eth0 so it can go out a hardware vpn.  Is this possible/does it make sense.  I don't need to access the server or dockers from the internet only from the lan, but the dockers of course need to be able to reach the internet as well

thanks

12 minutes ago, ijuarez said:

its for top secret spying.....

I have a network for docker setup to use vpn, because I dont want to have my whole house go out the vpn.

Depending on what you use for a router you could do this from it. I do this with pfSense, and have some IPs go out the VPN, and the rest out the clear internet. It's a lot of work to set it up, and sometimes if the VPN goes down the systems that are routed out that VPN could leak out the clear internet, so t's not 100% perfect. A better solution (easier) might be to look into using dockers with the built in vpn clients. I've just started looking into that.

9 minutes ago, ijuarez said:

its for top secret spying.....

I have a network for docker setup to use vpn, because I dont want to have my whole house go out the vpn.

The con of having 2 separate connections is that your NAS access from within the server (e.g. VM accessing the array) will also go through the router which means it's limited to gigabit (125MB/s).

You will also need complicated routing rules to separate Unraid NAS and non-NAS traffic to route them separately.

A much simpler thing to set up is to have only specific dockers that actually require VPN to have VPN.

There are many of those "VPN-included" dockers on the app store.

They also come with privoxy as well to serve as http proxy for other dockers to route http traffic through the same VPN.