Missing Files

I was transferring files through unassigned devices both are ntfs. I'm moving files from one drive to next one. Not part of the array. When I'm was done and have the drive almost full then I check back the folder where I transferred the files it's suddenly empty. But the free space and used space have remained the same.

I tried unmounting and remounting still the same, folder is still empty. Tried restarting the server still empty.

ps; I'm quite very new to unraid so I hope someone have patience to guide me through resolving this missing files.

Screenshot.png

Your post has quite a bit of ambiguity which makes it a bit hard for me to understand the problem.

Your screenshot only has 1 drive.

Copying requires 2 drives - source and destination so is your screenshot i.e. "1TBWD" the source or the destination? Why no screenshot of the other one? Did it disconnect?

The "folder where I transferred the files" - you meant the destination or the source?

"free space and used space have remained the same" - you meant the free space / used space of destination after the transfer? How much data did you transfer? Are you sure the transfer completed successfully?

"folder is still empty" - which folder? A subfolder under \\[server]\share-name\ is empty? or the \\[server]\share-name\ itself is empty?

What is the output of this command from the console?

ls /mnt/disks/1TBWD/

By the way, it's not recommended to use NTFS with Unassigned Devices on an on-going basis.

NTFS + Linux don't play well together.

If you are going to use the drives through Unraid UD, you are better off using a native Unraid file system e.g. xfs or btrfs.

I personally use btrfs for my external drives that I access through Unraid UD because, as a last resort, I can still open them in Windows with the open-source (i.e. free) WinBTRFS software.

28 minutes ago, testdasi said:

Your post has quite a bit of ambiguity which makes it a bit hard for me to understand the problem.

Your screenshot only has 1 drive.

Copying requires 2 drives - source and destination so is your screenshot i.e. "1TBWD" the source or the destination? Why no screenshot of the other one? Did it disconnect?

The "folder where I transferred the files" - you meant the destination or the source?

"free space and used space have remained the same" - you meant the free space / used space of destination after the transfer? How much data did you transfer? Are you sure the transfer completed successfully?

"folder is still empty" - which folder? A subfolder under \\[server]\share-name\ is empty? or the \\[server]\share-name\ itself is empty?

What is the output of this command from the console?

ls /mnt/disks/1TBWD/

By the way, it's not recommended to use NTFS with Unassigned Devices on an on-going basis.

NTFS + Linux don't play well together.

If you are going to use the drives through Unraid UD, you are better off using a native Unraid file system e.g. xfs or btrfs.

I personally use btrfs for my external drives that I access through Unraid UD because, as a last resort, I can still open them in Windows with the open-source (i.e. free) WinBTRFS software.

Apologies, yes I have a lot of unassigned drives and usb plugged portable drives which all are NTFS. Yes ofcourse we need more than two drives to files from one drive to another. I just screenshot drive where the files is missing and to show the free and usage to prove the have files not empty. See attached image I have a lot of unassigned drives.

Whenever I tried to access the folder via console to see if the files is still in there. it will "reading directory '.': Input/output error". So I'm guessing an issue on the filesystem. But I don't know how to do chkdsk on linux >.< as it easy as it is to do on windows.

I already fixed the problem, the stupid hassle way. I pulled the drive out of unraid and plugged it to my windows computer, files are there. I ran chkdsk and many errors and it fixed them. All well now, I threw the drive back to  the unraid server and my files are now showing back. All good.

Someone need to teach me how to do chkdsk on linux >.< for ntfs filesystem on unassisgned devices. Is there a tool, plugin, command?

Screenshot.png

Edited by sleanzles
10 minutes ago, sleanzles said:

I ran chkdsk and many errors and it fixed them. All well now, I threw the drive back to  the unraid server and my files are now showing back. All good.

Someone need to teach me how to do chkdsk on linux >.< for ntfs filesystem on unassisgned devices. Is there a tool, plugin, command?

That's why I don't recommend using NTFS with Linux.

I had corrupted data about 3 years ago and stopped using NTFS on Linux completely since then.

Don't know how UD NTFS is done but presumably ntfsfix can be used to fix ntfs filesystem but it's not the same as chkdsk.

Since NTFS is a Windows file system, I would prefer to use Windows to fix errors to safeguard my data.