unRAID Server Release 4.6 "All-in-One" -rc1 Available

limetech

In order to simplify installation of unRAID Server onto a new Flash device, I have created a new download package called "AiO" or "All-in-One".

This zip file contains exactly the same contents as

unRAID Server 4.6.zip

with the addition of two new files:

syslinux.exe

and

make_bootable.bat

(and

readme.txt

has been updated).

The idea is that after formatting your Flash device, you drag the contents of the zip file to the Flash and then click on

make_bootable

.  A DOS window will open to invoke

syslinux.exe

with the proper options to make the Flash device on which it resides bootable.  No more need to download

syslinux

separately.

Here are the reasons why I wanted to do this:

1. It makes it easier to install for first-time unRAID users.

2. It eliminates the possibility of running

syslinux

on your main OS hard drive (this would not be good).

3. It ensures a correctly-functioning version of

syslinux

is included with the release.

Here is the download link.  In following with previous tradition, this file has an "-rc1" suffix.  I'd appreciate some of you more advanced unRAID Server users to download and sanity-check what I've done here.  Basically this means reading over the

readme.txt

file and examining the

make_bootable.bat

file.  Please post any suggestions/improvements, especially if you see any chance of something going wrong for a new user.

Thanks!

This will function as a check for admin privileges

ATTRIB %windir%\system32 -h | FINDSTR /I "denied" >nul
IF NOT ERRORLEVEL 1 (
ECHO.
ECHO This script must be run as an Administrator.
ECHO.
ECHO Right click and select run as Administrator or execute
ECHO from an elevated command prompt.
ECHO.
GOTO END
)

Also make sure to have a :END section after everything else in the file ;)

I guess I might as well point out here this thread.

I have used this tool on Windows and it works very well.  It is a self contained tool so no install is needed.  I am not sure on the legality of including it with the All-in-one zip, but it might be something to look into.

I am still searching for a way to make a bootable stick on a Mac.  If/when I find something I will be sure to let everyone know.

Nice feature but a quick question what if the new unRAID user uses a other platform like Mac OS X or Linux?

SOunds like something the community could develop for unRAID and contribute back to me

;D

That's clear.  :) I'm not real handy with script's yet (Still have a lot to learn but love doing it). So i have to leave this for the more experienced users (and the community has some very experienced user).

I guess I might as well point out here this thread.

I have used this tool on Windows and it works very well.  It is a self contained tool so no install is needed.  I am not sure on the legality of including it with the All-in-one zip, but it might be something to look into.

I am still searching for a way to make a bootable stick on a Mac.  If/when I find something I will be sure to let everyone know.

Yes this tool is working great for me. Last time my USB stick was totally messed up. I tried to repair it with the standard Windows tools and had no success. Using Bootice solved my problems.

Maybe this is working? I can't try it because i don't own a mac.  :'(

4. Creating Bootable USB in Mac OS X (Leopard or higher) using DiskUtil

1. Open a Terminal, Insert your flash media and run diskutil list again and determine the device node assigned to your flash media (e.g. /dev/disk2)

2. Run diskutil unmountDisk /dev/diskN

3. Execute sudo dd if=/path/to/downloaded.img of=/dev/diskN bs=1m

4. Run diskutil eject /dev/diskN and remove your flash media when the command completes

source http://www.taranfx.com/create-bootable-live-usb-drives

Maybe this is working? I can't try it because i don't own a mac.  :'(

4. Creating Bootable USB in Mac OS X (Leopard or higher) using DiskUtil

1. Open a Terminal, Insert your flash media and run diskutil list again and determine the device node assigned to your flash media (e.g. /dev/disk2)

2. Run diskutil unmountDisk /dev/diskN

3. Execute sudo dd if=/path/to/downloaded.img of=/dev/diskN bs=1m

4. Run diskutil eject /dev/diskN and remove your flash media when the command completes

source http://www.taranfx.com/create-bootable-live-usb-drives

I will have to do some testing to see if I can come up with anything. Thanks for pointing the link out.