[SOLVED] All Disks unmountable after Server Upgrade - Please help

Hey guys,

First, I want to apologize for my bad English, I'm not a native speaker and it's very late for me right now (4 am) and I hope this is the right place for my request for help..

So I'm using Unraid for a while now, have 6 Drives (1 parity) + 1 cache drive(m.2), and wasn't really happy with my current server hardware. My CPU was really old, and I had to use a RAID-Controller which just served as a Sata extender, but I had an old Server Case so I had to use the 2 SAS Ports from the controller to connect my 6 sata Drives.

So I bought a new case + CPU + Mainboard, but sadly after booting it up I saw that every Drive had kinda different IDs. My guess would be that the raid controller did mess something up, but as you can see in the photo i attached, it was easy to figure out which drive was which. Unfortunately, I couldn't start the array in this state, so I made a new config via Tools->New Config. I think I just made it worse this way, cause now all my drives are unmountable. However, it is possible for me to mount the drives via the Unassigned Devices Addon, and I can see and access all my files no problem. So I still have hope for my data, and I would love to hear a solution how I make the data accessible in the array.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have.

Unbenannt2.png

Unbenannt4.png

Unbenannt5.png

Unbenannt6.png

This happened because you were using a RAID controller, usual solution is to rebuild one disk at a time on top, since the partitions are outside parity and will be recreated by Unraid, though since you didn't check that parity was valid after the new config you need to wait for the sync to finish first, when it's done, stop the array, unassign one of the data disks, start the array, if the emulated disk mounts and data looks correct rebuild on top, then repeat for the remaining disks.

5 hours ago, trurl said:

Go to Tools-diagnostics and attach the complete Diagnostics zip file to your NEXT post. 

Sorry, here you go I hope this helps.

2 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

This happened because you were using a RAID controller, usual solution is to rebuild one disk at a time on top, since the partitions are outside parity and will be recreated by Unraid, though since you didn't check that parity was valid after the new config you need to wait for the sync to finish first, when it's done, stop the array, unassign one of the data disks, start the array, if the emulated disk mounts and data looks correct rebuild on top, then repeat for the remaining disks.

Ok, thanks for the advice, so I could just wait the ~15 hours for the ongoing parity Parity-Sync and start rebuildung the disks one by one? But why should this work, shouldnt the parity rebuild the drive in the exact same state bit by bit that it is in right now? I dont get why it should be able to mount the drive afterwards. But I will try it tomorow after the sync.

unraidbox-diagnostics-20200418-1121.zip

1 hour ago, HungryKoala said:

But why should this work, shouldnt the parity rebuild the drive in the exact same state bit by bit that it is in right now?

It will, that's why you should have checked parity is already valid.

1 hour ago, HungryKoala said:

I dont get why it should be able to mount the drive afterwards.

Because the partitions are not setup the way Unraid requires them to be, like mentioned because you were using a RAID controller.

On 4/18/2020 at 12:43 PM, johnnie.black said:

It will, that's why you should have checked parity is already valid.

So, the first Disk just finished rebuilding and it works, thank you so much! Now I just have to be patient and in a week or so all my data will be back, thats great news for me.

• JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] All Disks unmountable after Server Upgrade - Please help