Can't shutdown.; docker doesn't start

Hoping someone might have experienced this issue and resolved it:

Unraid 6.8.3 have been working perfectly for me for a long time, through several upgrades.  My array and shares are working as expected.  But In the last week or so, my docker assets stopped appearing in the UI.  No containers shown on the dashboard, and no content displayed on the Docker tab (other than an empty "Docker containers" tab).  

Perhaps related:  my Unraid OS won't shutdown.  Navigating to Main --> Array operations and clicking shutdown doesn't shutdown the machine.  My active containers include BOINC, Gitea, DuckDNS Postgres, and a wiki.

If I hard reset my machine (power button), my array goes through a 9-hour parity check that ends with no issues.  

Any suggestions on how I can recover?  I've taken a diagnostic and can share that if needed.

Thanks!

freyernas-diagnostics-20200417-2302_obfuscated.zip

Edited by Chris Freyer
adding diagnostics

I see you attached it to the original post. The forum doesn't show us there is any new content when you do that. That is why I usually say:

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete diagnostics zip file to your NEXT post

But, since you "thanked" me, I got a notification about this thread anyway and that is why I came back to it.

Now that I have posted in it, others will also see there is new content in the thread.

Any particular reason you chose 19G for your docker image size, instead of a more round number? I usually recommend 20G, but 19 is OK and it doesn't look like you are in danger of filling it. Just wondered if there was a reason for that choice. But docker image may indeed be the problem, see below.

Your appdata and system shares are setup wrong. You want appdata, domains, and system on cache and set to stay on cache, so your dockers and VMs performance won't be impacted by the slower parity writes, and so those won't keep array disks spinning.

Your syslog has a lot of stuff about trying to move appdata from cache, which you shouldn't be doing anyway, and it is failing due to duplicates already on the array. Not sure how you got duplicates. That will all have to be cleaned up.

There is a dump in syslog which seems to be related to docker image. Probably need to delete and recreate it. Then you can add your dockers back just as they were using the Previous Apps feature on the Apps page.

But it might be better to just delete docker image and don't enable docker again until you get those shares fixed.

Thanks @trurl, I appreciate the help, especially on a weekend. 

I only had 1 cache drive when I setup unraid.  I didn't want to store anything on it permanently, hence the configuration.   I have a 2nd cache drive now (not installed yet), so I'll correct appdata and system.

The 19G docker image does seem odd.  I had a problem after my first docker image setup.  It was too small and filled up with logs.  Could have sworn I setup 20G.  I'll fix that too.

Final question....do you see a reason why I can't shutdown properly?  Is it related to the above, or something else?

Follow-up: 

• I changed the "Use cache" setting to "Prefer" for appdata, domain, and system shares.  Now the mover is behaving normally.
  • Deleted my docker image, powered off, rebooted, and then turned off docker.  Now my system can shutdown/restart normally.

I'll setup docker again after some cache drive maintenance.

Thanks for the help!

On 4/18/2020 at 10:59 PM, Chris Freyer said:

I have a 2nd cache drive now (not installed yet)

Note that the default configuration for the cache pool is raid1, so with 2 drives you will get a mirror with total capacity equal to the smaller of the 2 drives. Other configurations are possible. See here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/46802-faq-for-unraid-v6/?do=findComment&comment=480421