[SOLVED] Ext HD USB 3.0 --> UNRAID SATA HDD = 30MB/s only??

Hi everyone, I know this has been asked a couple of times, but I am still not sure I get it. I used to have an UBUNTU 18.04 LTS server with manually configured SMB shares, Webmin etc. I now moved to UNRAID (today). 

My NAS is an AMD Ryzen 3rd Gen 5 3500 CPU, 32GB RAM and ASUS ROG B450-I motherboard, 2 x brand new 14TB IronWolf SATA drives, 1 (fast!) NVMe 512GB

Before moving to UNRAID, I backed up my data in Ubuntu to the external USB 3 drives (I use the ORICO SATA 3.0 HDD Docking Station). Transfer speeds for large files were around 220 MB/s on EXT4 format.

Now, I am mounting the same drives with the same external dock and I am getting around 32 MB/s... I saw some people in the forum saying "that's normal, overhead, array, etc.", however my array is essentially "RAID0", no parity disk.

Q1: why is this? Is this a caching issue? My thought would have been that using the SSD cache would speed up things. Am I wrong?

Q2: how can I restore my data at 200 MB/s to avoid spending weeks?

Thanks!

question1.png

question2.png

Edited by theunraidhomeuser

Sorry if I'm being thick, maybe I have a fundamental misunderstanding of what you are trying to say. 

My challenge: [USB 3.0 HARD DRIVE ]-----usb 3.0 cable-----[UNRAID SERVER]

You are proposing: [Desktop]----1Gbit Ethernet----[UNRAID SERVER]

Correct? How does one relate to the other? I am talking about previous speed of 220 Megabytes per second, not MBit/s...

Network transfer between my Desktop and the UNRAID PC is "normal" as would be expected on a 1GBit network..

• JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Ext HD USB 3.0 --> UNRAID SATA HDD = 30MB/s only??