[SOLVED] Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout after data rebuild

GTP

Yes, If you guys think that will work I will do that if not I will stick with the 4tb I am attempting to check right now but its been running for 5 hours and now it says "exiting now" after it said

"Phase 1 - find and verify superblock... bad primary superblock - bad magic number !!! attempting to find secondary superblock........."

It did not give me any repair options

repai.png

I have attached a screenshot of my latest main GUI screen please feel free to ask any other questions or if I can provide any logs or diagnostics that will help me solve this issue. 

Thank you again,

James

repai.png

main.png

dashboard.png

59 minutes ago, GTP said:

"Phase 1 - find and verify superblock... bad primary superblock - bad magic number !!! attempting to find secondary superblock........."

It did not give me any repair options

That confirms there wasn't a valid filesystem there, at least not xfs, and that's not surprising.

1 hour ago, GTP said:

Yes, If you guys think that will work I will do that if not I will stick with the 4tb

We can do whatever you want with disks 15 and 16, the easiest way for you would be be to leave 15 as is and rebuild 16, this would also be the quickest way to get the array back to a protected state (assuming the new 8TB disk didn't arrive yet), but like mentioned you decide what you want to do and I'll post the instructions, as long as you follow them ant there are no other failures you won't lose anything else except the data that was already lost on the old disk 15.

4 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

That confirms there wasn't a valid filesystem there, at least not xfs, and that's not surprising.

We can do whatever you want with disks 15 and 16, the easiest way for you would be be to leave 15 as is and rebuild 16, this would also be the quickest way to get the array back to a protected state (assuming the new 8TB disk didn't arrive yet), but like mentioned you decide what you want to do and I'll post the instructions, as long as you follow them ant there are no other failures you won't lose anything else except the data that was already lost on the old disk 15.

Lets do that then, when the new drive arrives it will need time to pre-clear any ways so why not get started now. I can recover from a 3tb loss, the other 90 tb would have really hurt my heart. Please post instructions and I will follow them to the letter. If there is any other info you need just let me know so I can follow your instructions exactly. 

Thanks again,

I would be happy to buy you a virtual coffee for all your help as well, I thought my life was ruined and I had lost all that data!

James

11 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

-stop the array

-re-assign disk16 - icon should turn blue

-start the array to begin rebuilding

Ok thank you so much, I have stopped the array selected no device for disk 15 and selected the device for disk 16 (you were correct it turned blue) but now it will now allow me to start the array. The button is not active. It also says it is missing drive 15(expectd). I have attached screenshots

Thank you,

James

rebuild disk 16.png

3 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Please just do what I asked, I didn't say to unassign disk15, re-assign it, leave everything else as is and start the array.

I apologize I thought I was doing what you requested but I assumed incorrectly and then did exactly as you requested and you were right it has started the data rebuild for disk 16 and should be finished in 20 hours. I will post the results after it has completed.

Thank you again and see you tomorrow!

James

Sorry I have been working all day to try and get my Plex docker to recognize the libraries. It is saying it can't find them. I just wanted to shoot you a quick note and say thank you the drives are working now. Until I get my plex server up I don't know what data I lost but thank you again and let me know if I can buy you a coffee.

James

• JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout after data rebuild
14 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Now that the rebuild is done both disk 15 and 16 need to be formatted, next to the array start/stop button, there's a checkbox then press format.

Thanks again for all your help I found out what data I lost and what I still have. Thanks for getting me through this, it was a rough couple of days and you really helped so thank you very much and if there is ever anything I can do for you please let me know. I am now following you to learn more so hopefully I can pay it forward and you don't have to answer so many noob questions.

James