Best usage of SSD (cache or Plex Transcode)

Hi,

My UnRAID server is used to share Medias/videos, some Apps Library, some NFS for my ESX, Cloud storage. Mega performance from share is not my priority (It's good but ...). I whant to know your opinion aboit the usage of my SSD.

In my situation, is it better to use it as cache for my UnRAID or assign it for Plex transcode ?

Many Thanks

-------------------

AMD FX-6300 3.5 GHz - 16 Gig DDR3 - 2 Network Adapter LACP
4x Western Digital Blue 3 TB (Array) - 1x Western Digital Red 6 TB (Parity) - 1x Kingston A400 240 GB (???)

2 minutes ago, Squid said:

Many users (including myself) do not use the cache drive to cache any writes to the media shares on the array, and dedicate the cache drive / pool for VM / docker appdata usage exclusively.

Thanks for you opinion,

It was the way I was planning to go to. (as a UnRAID newbee)

As I'm not plannig to use VMs, and maybe some Docker; for Zabbix and Plex, may I request your recommendation ?

Use SSD for appdata/Docker/Plex (and assign space to transcode folder)  ---- via Docker

or

Use SSD only for a dedicated Plex transcode folder   ---- via Linux OS

As i'm not Docker expert, does anyone may guide me on how to setup SSD transcode folder ?

Mount the SSD and asign it to a specific docker folder ?  ex: OS: /mnt/ssd  ---> Docker /transcode

or is it possible to do all this directly in the docker ?

Either way works, but running a VM specifically to run something that is available as a docker container is a waste of resources as the OS itself has its own resource requirements and overhead involved.

See this for a great introduction to docker.

• Like 1