Tracking down IOwait cause

• 3 months later...

I've been dealing with the same problem for several years now. In the past, it wasn't a big deal for me because I didn't need the parity, but now, more and more data are on the array that I don't want to lose.

I'm not able to create a parity disk, even when I shut down Docker, remove the VM Manager, delete all plugins, and so on. First, I assumed there was a problem with the motherboard (ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING), so I updated the motherboard and checked all settings twice. Second, I assumed it was the Adaptec HBA because it was mentioned somewhere that an old firmware on the controller (Adaptec ASR-71605) itself has a problem, so I updated the controller.

When I just copy files between the disks, I get 10 to 20% iowait.

Maybe the controller will not work with Unraid or needs another driver.

I assume none of you have solved the issue, right?

i assume, it's because of the iowait situation. because If I add a parity device and start syncing, the iowait increases just as when I copy files. When the iowait lasts too long, it causes read errors on a disk in the array (not always the same one not alwas at the same Time), and if there are too many errors, they occur on the parity disk, and Unraid disables it.

currently i switch from btrfs and xfs to zfs. if this is done by the next Days i will go deeper in to the issue. 

im tring now several things so if there strange things in the config dont wonder ;-)

inge-diagnostics-20240213-1639.zip

1 hour ago, habron said:

it causes read errors on a disk in the array (not always the same one not alwas at the same Time),

There's a know issue with that Adaptec controller, try the recently released v6.12.7-rc2, it should fix that issue, if it still fails post new diags after that.

• Like 1

no its because because of the IOwait situation, if i put a Parity device in and Start Syncing the IOwait raises same as when i copy files. when the IOwait situation causes TO long 

Great support!!! Thanks, that helps. I was able to create the parity!❤️

IO wait is still a topic, but it's possible that the HDDs are the bottleneck.🤷‍♂️

Edited by habron
  • 2 weeks later...