Cache drives in unassigned devices?

I moved my server to a new location, fired it up and for some reason 2 of my cache drives are now showing up in unassigned devices. If i add them i assume it rebuilds them but do i lose any data? Whats the best way to handle this so i dont lose anything on my cache drive? Also, why would this happen?

Capture.PNG

5 hours ago, hermy65 said:

I added the two drives back into the pool and started the array but now im getting this.

You'll destroy the pool doing that, for the future the correct procedure would be:

Stop the array, if Docker/VM services are using the cache pool disable them, unassign all cache devices, start array to make Unraid "forget" current cache config, stop array, reassign all cache devices, re-enable Docker/VMs if needed, start array.

Alternatively you can also do a new config and reassign all devices, then check parity is already valid before starting the array.

@johnnie.black I followed your steps but when i re-add the drives and start the array i get an error that says: Cache drive unmountable, no pool uuid.

I tried the btrfs restore steps listed here and was able to recover data from the two drives in my original screenshot that were in unassigned devices but when i try it on the two disks that were listed in the pool in my original picture i get the error in the attached image. 

Capture3.PNG

Just now, hermy65 said:

Are you saying what i did earlier caused the issue? 

Yes, you can't re-add existing devices like that, there would be a "any data on this devices will be lost" warning next to them, and starting the array wipes them, a 4 disk pool can't mount with 2 missing devices, the correct way of fixing the pool would be what I wrote above.

• 2 years later...
On 5/8/2020 at 2:03 AM, JorgeB said:

You'll destroy the pool doing that, for the future the correct procedure would be:

Stop the array, if Docker/VM services are using the cache pool disable them, unassign all cache devices, start array to make Unraid "forget" current cache config, stop array, reassign all cache devices, re-enable Docker/VMs if needed, start array.

Alternatively you can also do a new config and reassign all devices, then check parity is already valid before starting the array.

Lost a power supply, after replacing the unit my raid came up with one of the Cache Pool drives unassigned. This solution worked great to get my dockers and VMs back.

Thanks!

• Like 1