(SOLVED) UDMA CRC Error Count: 1

Starting a new build and making sure everything is done right. I’ve read a few other things around the web but figured I’d reach out. 

Picked up some Seagate External drives that I plan to shuck and place in a new build. 

Using HD Sentinel Pro in W10, did a read/write surface test on all drives. One got bounced back: it suffered from high fly writes and G-Sensor errors. That drive has since been replaced. 

As mentioned, no error messages noted in SMART otherwise. When I booted up Unraid for the first time, I registered the USB drive, installed CA, preclear, unassigned devices, etc., powered up the drives and started preclear. Unraid gave the thumbs down to one drive because it stated: UDMA CRC Error Rate = 1. I acknowledged the error but it was there before the drive even started the first read of the first cycle.  Again, this is an external drive on a USB cable and after acknowledging it in Unraid, Unraid gave it a thumbs up. 50% into zeroing (second pass, first cycle), the drive shows no other SMART starts of note. 

Seeing that I'm going to be removing the drive, and subsequently voiding the warranty, the question is: send it back because it's new or ignore knowing that nothing else is being noted and who knows what caused the error and there's nothing else to back it up. 

Thanks guys!

On 5/9/2020 at 3:17 PM, trurl said:

CRC errors mean the data was corrupted between the disk and the rest of the computer. Usually a bad connection.

Thanks. I just ran the preclear on the same drive.  None of the others have exhibited this and this particular drive still has a count of 1. 

Think I'll take my chances with it unless somebody suggests otherwise. 

1 hour ago, AdrianF said:

this particular drive still has a count of 1. 

It doesn't go back to zero, and it isn't a sign of a failing disk as noted. You can acknowledge the SMART warning on the Dashboard by clicking on it and it will alert you again if it increases.

• Thanks 1
Just now, trurl said:

It doesn't go back to zero, and it isn't a sign of a failing disk as noted. You can acknowledge the SMART warning on the Dashboard by clicking on it and it will alert you again if it increases.

Fully aware of this. The count will only increase (if it does at all). Count stayed the same through 41 hours of preclearing so I'm gonna likely bank on the drive being okay.

• AdrianF changed the title to (SOLVED) UDMA CRC Error Count: 1