Help convince Plex developers to support unRAID

Stokkes

Rich, I also have my Plex directory under /mnt/cache/.Plex

I modified by start.sh script to include the application support directory.  Not sure this is the best way to do it, but it works for me.

#!/bin/sh
#SCRIPTPATH=$(dirname $(python -c 'import sys,os;print os.path.realpath(sys.argv[1])' $0))
SCRIPT=$(readlink -f $0)
SCRIPTPATH=`dirname ${SCRIPT}`
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="${SCRIPTPATH}"
export PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_MAX_PLUGIN_PROCS=6
export PLEX_MEDIA_SERVER_APPLICATION_SUPPORT_DIR=/mnt/cache/.Plex/Library
export TMPDIR=/mnt/cache/.tmp
ulimit -s 3000
$SCRIPTPATH/Plex\ Media\ Server

Tried that to - still won't auto start upon server reboot. V annoying. Do you just have /mnt/cache/.Plex/start.sh in your Go script?

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To confirm, I just rebooted and PMS started up.  This is how I launch Plex from my go script:

/mnt/cache/.Plex/start.sh >> /mnt/cache/.Plex/Library/Plex\ Media\ Server/Logs/Plex\ Media\ Server.log 2>&1 &

Did you modify your start.sh, changing the last line from:

./Plex\ Media\ Server

to:

As delivered, it requires launching the app from within the directory.  That change allows you to launch it from anywhere.  If you launch PMS in the same method I provided, you can check the log to see if it returns any errors.  That will help with troubleshooting.

To confirm, I just rebooted and PMS started up.  This is how I launch Plex from my go script:

/mnt/cache/.Plex/start.sh >> /mnt/cache/.Plex/Library/Plex\ Media\ Server/Logs/Plex\ Media\ Server.log 2>&1 &

Did you modify your start.sh, changing the last line from:

./Plex\ Media\ Server

to:

As delivered, it requires launching the app from within the directory.  That change allows you to launch it from anywhere.  If you launch PMS in the same method I provided, you can check the log to see if it returns any errors.  That will help with troubleshooting.

Fixed it! To edit the start.sh script I'd copied via the command line to the root of cache, edited it in texteditor and then copied back via the command line. However, the permissions has changed on it so the script couldnt be executed.

Thanks for everyones help.

So is Beta 5 and the Plex Build solid enough to be worth effort to update from 4.7?  I've been itching to get plex installed on my server to free my MBP from having to run plex

I'd defo say yes, but i guess it depends on your usage. I'm still having a few issues... can't play video_ts files using PMS on unRAID and when streaming a large movie over 3G on IOS, i get a loud whining noise instead of the movie soundtrack, lol, but those bugs doesn't really have a massive impact on me.

So if you are a 'standard' user, i'd very much recommend the upgrade  :)

Rich

So is Beta 5 and the Plex Build solid enough to be worth effort to update from 4.7?  I've been itching to get plex installed on my server to free my MBP from having to run plex

As for Beta 5, haven't really had any major issues. The only issue I have is afp, but I connect to the server in os x via Connect Server in Finder over SMB anyway. Our Mac Mini Plex clients also automount to the unRaid box via NFS (in the Apple Disky Utility).

I've only had Plex on unRaid running for a couple of days, but it works just fine and transcodes to iOS devices without a hitch. I've also managed to get Sickbeard to run which automagically adds new content to Plex, so pretty stoked!

Rich, I have experienced the strange whining sound as well on my iPad (seems to be related to MKVs with DTS), but it also seems to work itself out after about 10-15 seconds.  Have you let it play to see if it improves?

Yeah, it seems to clear up, like you said, over wifi but not over 3G. I've let it run for over a minute over a 3G connection and no luck.

I've also noticed that quite a lot of my movies (MKV) have distorted sound at action scenes etc, when played through IOS, so i don't know if there is a bug in the transcode process that is ramping up the sound too much?