File move issues

HSituation: If i try to move a file from e.g. \\tower\01_root\mnt\user\1 to \\tower\01_root\mnt\user\2 it spin up my HDDs and then copy the file from folder 1 to 2 instead of instant moving the file. The file in folder 1 is on cache. Both user shares are "cache enabled"

A few weeks ago it moves correctly but now it dosnt.. cant find the problem here..

• 2 weeks later...

It's not a problem, and not an issue, and is a result of how every OS (including Windows / MacOS) works.

What you're doing is doing this from (presumably) windows and moving from one network share (\\tower\01_root\mnt\user\1 ) to another network share (\\tower\01_root\mnt\user\2)

How computers work is that every time a move happens the system (in this case Windows) first tries to rename the file.  Since that fails ( the file in .../mnt/user/1 cannot be renamed simply to be in /mnt/user/2, simply because none of the folders within .../2 exist within .../1), the system then does a copy followed by a replace.

Now, it's not the complete end of the world because the copy operation never actually traverses the network ->  ie: You can quite easily exceed your network speed when this happens if your SSD's (ie: nvme) can handle it)

In techie terms, what you're trying to do is move a file between two separate mount points, and the OS (Windows, and by extension every other OS ever created) doesn't allow that.

An alternative is to use a "root" share ( spaceinvaderone has a video about how to set one up), in which case all moves within that root share will be instant (even though they are on separate shares).  The downside to moving files via a root share is that since the rename operation succeeds, the file(s) may wind up on a drive that is technically disallowed by the include / exclude / use cache settings.

IE: If moving via the root share method from a cache enabled share to a non-cache enabled share, if the source exists on the cache drive, then after the move it will still be on the cache drive in apparent violation of the use cache setting, but once again that is expected behaviour.

both of my shares are cache enabled. And the source file is on cache also but it dont moves as it should. It first copies from folder 1 to folder 2 and after that it deletes the source file. On other shares this works. Betwenn share 1 and 2 it works too a few weeks ago but now anymore. It dosent makes a difference if i try to move via win10 smb or krusader docker

• 2 months later...