Headless unraid needs a monitor to boot?

Hello all,

After many long hours browsing the forum and watching Spaceinvaderone's excellent YouTube videos, I decided to jump in, build my own NAS and setup unraid.

I currently have a Synology NAS and I'm now migrating everything over and so far I'm very happy.

My first real stumbling block is that my unraid NAS will only boot up if a monitor is connected, it dosen't even need to be switched on, just connected?? I've scoured the bios and online but I'm stumped. I want to leave it powered on and connected via ethernet out of sight. 

For info I am using a J4105B-ITX motherboard and currently utilising the on board integrated graphics. I do have an MSI GTX 760 installed in the one available PCI-e slot, however I'm waiting on the correct power connection leads to arrive before I can power it up and use the Nvidia unRaid process. The bios only shoes the integrated graphics as available. 

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. If any further information is needed, please let me know. 

1 hour ago, testdasi said:

You probably need a dummy HDMI plug. It's actually not something specific to AsRock mobo. The ability to boot headless cannot be assumed, especially with consumer boards.

Many thanks, I didn't even know video display plugs were a thing? I've just ordered one, hopefully that will work. 

10 minutes ago, LoneTraveler said:

Many thanks, I didn't even know video display plugs were a thing? I've just ordered one, hopefully that will work. 

Should work. I have gone through several iterations of my Unraid server with multiple mobo brands and none booted headless without the dummy plug (either display port or HDMI depending on what the mobo had).

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, testdasi said:

Should work. I have gone through several iterations of my Unraid server with multiple mobo brands and none booted headless without the dummy plug (either display port or HDMI depending on what the mobo had).

I learn something new every day. 

Thanks again. 

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, pokes said:

Hi

Was going to build a new server using an i3 9100F (the no graphics CPU) on Gigabyte B365M D3H with a very old ATI HD 3850 for setup

I was hoping to remove it afterwards .. would I need it leave it in or could I put a dummy plug in the M/B

There's no way to know without owning the same config.

The HDMI dummy plug only works if there is a GPU (either iGPU or dedicated). Without an actual GPU then headless boot is totally determined by the motherboard BIOS.

• 3 weeks later...

I've only needed a HDMI dongle for GPU pass-through for gaming with the Windows 10 VM. Then again, I also had to install a cheap GPU for Unraid; I was never able to get single GPU pass-through. Also, I am not running a HDMI dongle on the GPU allocated for Unraid.

Running a Gigabyte Designare X339 board with a TR4 socket.

Edited by Zer0Nin3r
Typo