Disabled parity disk and Smart error

I've been running this Unraid server mostly for Plex for about 3 years with no issues. I noticed recently that my drives were getting hot and two of my fans had died. I've replaced all my fans and everything seems to be cooler.

I've also noticed that my parity disk(sdf) is disabled and Disk 2(sde) has a smart error with a thumbs down in the dashboard. I ran the full Smart test on both and nothing seems to jump out at me.

How can I get my server to a healthy state? And are there any other things that jump out as needing tweaking?

I have another new 4TB drive that I can put in there to replace a disk. Its not doing much at the moment! It was on sale. 

Edited by SimpleMind

You should go to Settings - Scheduler - Mover Settings and disable mover logging. Kind of hard to sort through syslog with all those mover entries.

It looks like parity was disabled a couple of weeks ago. What is your parity check schedule? Looks like there might have been a couple of checks since parity was disabled, but they were only read checks since there was no parity to check.

Apparently you don't have Notifications configured to alert you immediately by email or other agent when a problem is detected.

Do you know how to rebuild parity to the same disk?

• Thanks 1

Thank you both for your responses! 

• I acknowledged the error
  • I disabled mover logging. 
  • My parity check is set to weekly and write corrections to parity disk is set to yet.

Thank you for the comment about the Marvell controller. When I was replacing the fans I was wondering why I went out of my way to use certain ports and now I remember that I hit something related to the Marvell controller. I should switch them back. But I do recall the error happened before that. 

Should I configure notifications with a dummy gmail account?

I do not know how to rebuild parity.

1 minute ago, SimpleMind said:

My parity check is set to weekly and write corrections to parity disk is set to yet.

Monthly should be enough and don't correct. That way if you find out that another disk has a problem then you haven't changed parity unintentionally. If you do get errors that need correcting do that with a manual check with corrections.

3 minutes ago, SimpleMind said:

Should I configure notifications with a dummy gmail account?

You should configure with an account that you will check consistently. Don't let one problem become multiple problems and data loss.

4 minutes ago, SimpleMind said:

I do not know how to rebuild parity.

Check all connections and change ports if appropriate, then

1. Stop array
  2. Unassign disabled disk
  3. Start array with disabled disk unassigned
  4. Stop array
  5. Reassign disabled disk
  6. Start array to begin rebuild

I need to read up more on how to take care of this thing. I've been lucky its survived my neglect.

I was thinking about creating a backup like you have with the extra disk I have. Maybe getting something with 12TB. Is there a good place to look at recommended hardware for a backup server?