Can't write mount unraid share as writable via cifs?

I have been able to mount unraid shares/directories as read only but for some reason not as writable.

I have been using lines like:

sudo mount.cifs //192.168.1.101/backups /home/user/backups/ --read-write -o username=Tower/bob,workgroup=workgroup,password=******

and a few different variations of the above but still, I can read but I can't write, except -

If i use sudo then i can, so I can cd to backups once its been mounted, read just fine, but only able to write if i sudo:

touch foo 

doesnt work

sudo touch foo

works just fine.

I do not know if this is an issue with my local machine, or how I am using cifs, or how I have unraid configured. I have this same write issue when trying to mount using another distro so i was thinking its either how I am trying to mount it or unraid.

//Tower/share /home/username/local/mountpoint    cifs    file_mode=0777,dir_mode=0777,_netdev,username=valid,password=secure,uid=1000,gid=1000    0    0

Works for me, obviously the local mountpoint has to exist before mounting, and the user and password must have write on unraid. Don't remember the why's and whatevers of the options at the moment, and other options may be needed depending on circumstances. I format the spacing the way I do to keep all my monospaced entries vertically aligned in my fstab