[SOLVED] Slow local wired transfer speeds

My Unraid server is connected via ethernet (1000 mbps) and so is my PC. When I transfer a file from Unraid to my PC (via SMB shares) I get 2MB down, and when I transfer a file from my PC to Unraid I get 40MB up.

Now when I use the wireless connection on my PC instead of Ethernet (5Ghz channel) and I transfer a file from Unraid to my PC (via SMB shares) I get 50MB down, and when I transfer a file from my PC to Unraid I get 70MB up.

I have no idea why having a wired connection is giving me a much slower speed!

53 minutes ago, shimi269 said:

Update 2: Issue is fixed, it was SMB 3 transfer issues (known to be the cause on Windows 10), put 'max protocol = SMB2_02' on SMB Extras under settings.

Instead of using max protocol, I'm using

server min protocol = SMB3_11
client min protocol = SMB3_11

I don't know if it actually causes me any problems or not ...  guess I never really bothered to look / investigate...  maybe I should try to get the best settings possible but boy that's a headache to speed test everything reliably...

• JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Slow local wired transfer speeds
14 hours ago, Energen said:

Instead of using max protocol, I'm using

server min protocol = SMB3_11
client min protocol = SMB3_11

I don't know if it actually causes me any problems or not ...  guess I never really bothered to look / investigate...  maybe I should try to get the best settings possible but boy that's a headache to speed test everything reliably...

Just pull down a file from your SMB share and if you are saturating your network speed, then it's all good. I believe this isn't an issue on all machines running Windows 10, just happened to be the issue with mine.

4 hours ago, shimi269 said:

Just pull down a file from your SMB share and if you are saturating your network speed, then it's all good. I believe this isn't an issue on all machines running Windows 10, just happened to be the issue with mine.

I pulled linuxmint-20-mate-64bit.iso (1.91GB) from my array to my main SSD drive and it was consistent around 90-95MB/s.  Not really sure how that translates on a typical GB network.   Writing the iso back to the array was a good 110MB/s consistently.