(Solved) UNRAID BIOS issues / Startup

Hi,

I have been using UnRaid successfully for about 6 months or so fairly successfully.  

I went to swap out my dvd rom for another because I thought it wasn't working. 

After the swap, I turned the server back on.  The server reported the BIOS was corrupted and successfully recovered it.  After that though, I am not able to see any drives, and networking isn't working.  I am able to boot into unraid just fine, but nothing is really functional.

I want to provide a syslog for you to review, however when I copy it to cp /var/log/syslog /boot/syslog.txt  it doesn't end up on the usb.  

I have attempted to go through the various help commands.  

Nothing is under /mnt

Nothing displays from fdisk -l

No results for lsmod

No results for lsscsi.

Maybe I am missing a setting in the bios that would enable the devices. Any tips/help would be appreciated?

Where do I find the USB under the file system to provide a syslog?  I took a video recording of it, but I don't feel that would be as useful as a text file.

On 8/21/2020 at 4:35 PM, trurl said:

/boot

I copied it to cp /var/log/syslog /boot/syslog.txt  it doesn't end up on the usb.  I ejected usb and opened usb under windows but don't see syslog.txt.  I don't see the same contents under /boot as I do in windows when I browse the entire usb stick.  I hope my data in still there.  I am not really not clear what's going on.  

I am guessing here, but when unraid loads, it appears to load an older version.  I thought I was on the latest 6.8.2.

uname -a

Linux Tower 4.19.98-Unraid ...

Even though it appears that unraid is booting, it's booting in a different way than previously.  I guessing whatever happened to the BIOS prevents it from really working the way it used it.

What you are seeing is the result of Unraid being unable to mount the USB stick to /boot and continue the startup process correctly.

Why that is happening is unclear, but the first thing I would try is to see if your USB will successfully boot in another computer. The array won't start, as none of the drives will be there, but you should be able to get to the web GUI. As long as you don't mess with the drive assignments in the GUI it won't alter anything on the test computer.

Do you have a current backup of the USB stick /config folder?

23 hours ago, jonathanm said:

What you are seeing is the result of Unraid being unable to mount the USB stick to /boot and continue the startup process correctly.

Why that is happening is unclear, but the first thing I would try is to see if your USB will successfully boot in another computer. The array won't start, as none of the drives will be there, but you should be able to get to the web GUI. As long as you don't mess with the drive assignments in the GUI it won't alter anything on the test computer.

Do you have a current backup of the USB stick /config folder?

Thank you for your post.  Yes, I do have a backup of the config folder.  I used the usb to boot up into unraid o.s. and definitely was able to to see the drive assignments, looked much better than my unraid machine.  I didn't make any changes and rebooted out of that setup back to windows.

I believe this proves the usb is working correctly.  I am thinking that the motherboard is either messed up or not configured correctly to load the usb stick correctly.  Any suggestions on the recommended tweaks?  I tried several different things already but nothing appeared to work for me.  I am pretty close to upgrading motherboard/cpu/ram to a more current hardware.  

On 8/23/2020 at 8:35 AM, Sanjiv Patel said:

I am guessing here, but when unraid loads, it appears to load an older version.  I thought I was on the latest 6.8.2.

uname -a

Linux Tower 4.19.98-Unraid ...

Even though it appears that unraid is booting, it's booting in a different way than previously.  I guessing whatever happened to the BIOS prevents it from really working the way it used it.

Current stable is actually 6.8.3. That uname response is just telling you the linux kernel version, not the Unraid version.

Are you booting from a USB2 port? You should.

• Sanjiv Patel changed the title to (Solved) UNRAID BIOS issues / Startup