Cache drive won't boot

Hello everyone,

First, sorry if i make some grammatical mistakes english is not my native language.

So i have a SSD a Transcend TS128XBTMT3D58G it's a M.2 ssd, i put it in a 2.5inch adapter that convert to SATA.

I've tested it with a sata to usb 3.1 adapter everything worked fine even good speed write/read on Windows.

But when i connect it on my Unraid via a LSI SAS 9210-8i on IT mode and start the Array i've got "Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout".

I've already tried Preclear disk on it but it didn't change a thing.

Did i miss something ? I hope someone could help me. 

I attach to the post my diagnostic file.

serveurjeanmi-diagnostics-20200824-1759.zip

You shouldn't use preclear on SSDs.

You have to let Unraid format any disk it will use in the array or cache pool. Just go to Main - Array Operations and it should give you a Format button. Make sure the only drive it lists for formatting is the one you want to format, then check the box so you can click Format.

5 minutes ago, Onitsukun said:

So i have a SSD a Transcend TS128XBTMT3D58G it's a M.2 ssd, i put it in a 2.5inch adapter that convert to SATA.

That is already a SATA device, do you mean an m.2 to 2.5" adapter?

5 minutes ago, Onitsukun said:

But when i connect it on my Unraid via a LSI SAS 9210-8i on IT mode and start the Array i've got "Unmountable: Unsupported partition layout".

You need to let Unraid formatted any device before use, next to array start/stop buttons.

12 minutes ago, trurl said:

You shouldn't use preclear on SSDs.

You have to let Unraid format any disk it will use in the array or cache pool. Just go to Main - Array Operations and it should give you a Format button. Make sure the only drive it lists for formatting is the one you want to format, then check the box so you can click Format.

Ok... im just blind 😵 or the french translation wasn't very clear at first ^^ But thank you it worked 😂

11 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

That is already a SATA device, do you mean an m.2 to 2.5" adapter?

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/32798038664.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.293d6c37uxMykM I mean this. 

Cheap but it work great.