(Solved) Chronic unclean shutdowns

I have an unRAID server that has been plagued with unclean shutdowns for quite a while now. Initially it would only happen occasionally when a seemingly normal shutdown was performed. Now it happens with every shutdown.

I have scoured syslogs finding nothing abnormal to my eye. I have also tried to determine a pattern of circumstance. This led me to suspect it was due to open files but using the Open Files tool to close suspect files would often cause an unclean shutdown itself. Making sure there were no open files from the client end did not help either.

So today I had just completed a replace / rebuild of a data drive and clicked on the 'done' button. I then clicked on 'spin up all drives' and boom it triggered an unclean shutdown.

syslog attached plus a screen capture of the flash drive showing no diagnostics log file.

TIA for any advice or assistance.

unRAID2-mystery shutdown-flash.JPG

unraid2-mystery stop-syslog-20200901-1400.zip

1 minute ago, gerhard911 said:

I then clicked on 'spin up all drives' and boom it triggered an unclean shutdown.

Sounds like a power issue. I am guessing you have 10 data disks based on that screenshot. I highly recommend NOT sharing cache or the array disks on the network. Among other reasons, you can lose data if you mix disks and user shares when copying/moving.

Here is a FAQ that links to an explanation of how unclean shutdown works:

The server is an HP Proliant ML150G6. The power supply is a Delta Electronics DPS-480DB-2A. Specs listed on the label are Max power 480W at 12Va and Max Combined power 385W.

10 data drives (6x8  + 4x10TB) 2x1TB SSD cache and 10TB parity. Guess I need to check power requirements and add them all up.

Thanks

So after the parity check completed, I carefully spun up the drives one at a time before stopping the array. All good!

I attempted to replace the PS with an Antec 620W but because HP, the PCIe MB connector was non standard. So I hot wired a 480W Seasonic and am running dual PS. The MB, 1x10TB and 2 cache drives on the HP PS and all of the other drives on the Seasonic (5 each on two different rails). Fingers crossed.

• gerhard911 changed the title to (Solved) Chronic unclean shutdowns