Running UnRaid on VM (PLEX)

I am new to Unraid, I was thinking of running Unraid on my Gaming computer (only PC) si|nce getting another PC costs too much. Can I run Unraid on a VM without any issues while still having the main OS Windows 10? Are there any negatives? I do encoding to family/friends and myself since Android/Plex does not support all codecs.

I was thinking of dedicating the VM;

2-Core of my 8-Core (Ryzen 7)

4GB memory of my existing 32GB

RTX 2070S for hardware encoding

I was thinking of using the RTX 2070 for both my gaming computer and the VM. 

4 hours ago, Kevek79 said:

Just out of curiosity:

Why not going the other way round and run windows in a VM on Unraid ?

Didn't know you could do that. Thought Unraid was a Linux OS that is very limited but highly capable for NAS setups. 

Can Windows 10 on a VM in Unraid work without any drawbacks for gaming and programming (WSL)?

I have 1x 2TB SSD (Sata) used for Windows 10 and Games, and planning to have 6x 4TB (CMR) HDD for Unraid with dual parity.

Edited by CleverGecko
18 minutes ago, CleverGecko said:

Didn't know you could do that. Thought Unraid was a Linux OS that is very limited but highly capable for NAS setups. 

Can Windows 10 on a VM in Unraid work without any drawbacks for gaming and programming (WSL)?

You are correct that at its heart Unraid is a basic (Slackware) Linux system using Samba to provide NAS facilities and historically that was how it was used.     However the current version of Unraid is also a good application server as it includes KVM/QEMU for running VM’s, and Docker for running apps in Docker containers.