We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

SAS Drive Intermittenly Stops Working and PCI Riser Issues

I have 4, 1.2TB SAS drives and have never had any issues until two days ago. "Drive 1" is the issue, it seems. I have tested the drive and when I can get it recognized the SMART report shows no errors and says the drive is healthy. I have tested the backplane and the SAS controller and neither are the issue. The only way I can get the array started is to reboot and swap the drives around a few times. I also am having an issue with my three risers in my rig as well, Precision R7910, I had them working before this issue arose but now I cannot get them to function entirely correctly. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. FWIW I had a Win 10 VM setup and running a QUADRO M4000 8gb card on passthrough perfectly. Like a bonehead, I installed the card in a x8 lane instead of a x16 lane and decided to power down and switch it. After this the VM stopped working and now returns an error that the PCI-e cable is not plugged in.  Thanks for any help!

EDIT:  Please find attached the diagnostics zip

syslog.txt

hecatoncheires-diagnostics-20200907-2019.zip

Edited by WhiskeyIndianNovember

Just some advice about using the forum. Since you actually did make another post, this thread showed it had new content. If you had only edited the first post to add your diagnostics, I would not have known there was anything new to see. That is why I said

23 minutes ago, trurl said:

attach the complete Diagnostics ZIP file to your NEXT post

2 minutes ago, trurl said:

New users have to have their post approved by a moderator (me) before additional posts are allowed. We get a lot of spammers. Now that you have been approved you can post as much as you like.

6 minutes ago, trurl said:

Just some advice about using the forum. Since you actually did make another post, this thread showed it had new content. If you had only edited the first post to add your diagnostics, I would not have known there was anything new to see. That is why I said

Yes I am aware, I was unable to make a subsequent post until a few minutes later so I did  so that it would show a reply. Also, in the effort of tidiness I replied and updated the first post.

Edited by WhiskeyIndianNovember
8 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Nothing I can see on the Unraid side, it's as if the disk is not connected, since the LSI has a BIOS installed does it show up in the BIOS when this happens?

P.S. you have a lot of nedtools apps installed, make sure you only install the ones you actually need.

Yes it shows up in the BIOS this began happening after changing lanes and the subsequent removal and addition of the VM. After that everything went wonky, was even struggling to get the drivers to work when before they worked flawlessly. As for the NerdTools I just acquired all the packages after making this thread and will sort through keeping relevant packages when I return home from business. So, they have not been utilized and were not present when any of these issues arose. 

35 minutes ago, trurl said:

Do you even know what some of those are?

Lets try to keep this thread on topic and constructive.