USB/SSD solution with X7DBE

Hi,

I have had my Unraid server for quite some time, currently running version 6.8.3. It was built with some old hardware I found, which wasn't optimal at all. From a friend at work I had the chance to take over a SuperMicro server with a X7DBE motherboard, dual XEON CPUs inside a 16 bay hot swap chassi.

We moved the disks and my raid cards, but had trouble booting it from my USB(3.0 stick). We started reading up on things which is when we understood this might be quite hard to fix.

From my understanding reading different build logs, the X7DBE motherboard can't boot Unraid from only the USB stick, 3.0 or 2.0. So we followed a guide where they installed Unraid on an SSD. When doing this we could boot unraid but it didn't recognize the USB stick until we unplugged it and plugged it in again. But, then it had no config.

We started to try and fix this, which is when I started getting Flash Disk error. The strange thing is now that I have the flash disk error I have the correct config and it sees all my disks. It seems that I can't move the license to a new USB since the original USB is blacklisted. So I am currently quite stuck not knowing how to move forward.

1. Can I get the X7DBE to work decently or should I try and find something else?

2. How can I move my license to a new USB?

tower-diagnostics-20200930-1641.zip

5 hours ago, Print Head said:

Should it be possible for me to migrate the license to a new USB stick? If not, is it possible to reset this so that I can migrate the license to a new USB(only need to do it one more time I guess), or do you have to wait that 1 year as stated when logged in to unraid?

You can transfer the license once per year using the automated transfer process.

if for some reason you need to do it again before the year has expired then then you need to contact Limetech by email with an explanation of why.    You should also (if possible) provide enough information for them to identify your licence (e.g. purchase email or the GUID of the USB stick that currently has the licence attached to it) and the GUID of the new USB stick you want the licence to be associated with.   They then normally do a manual transfer for you and email back with the new key file attached.

If transferring to a new USB stick I would suggest that a USB2 one is better as they seem to be far less prone to failure (I suspect because they run cooler) and no noticeable performance advantage is gained from a USB3 one as after initial load at boot time Unraid runs from RAM.

• 5 months later...
On 10/1/2020 at 8:07 PM, Print Head said:

Hi,

I have had my Unraid server for quite some time, currently running version 6.8.3. It was built with some old hardware I found, which wasn't optimal at all. From a friend at work I had the chance to take over a SuperMicro server with a X7DBE motherboard, dual XEON CPUs inside a 16 bay hot swap chassi.

We moved the disks and my raid cards, but had trouble booting it from my USB(3.0 stick). We started reading up on things which is when we understood this might be quite hard to fix.

From my understanding reading different build logs, the X7DBE motherboard can't boot Unraid from only the USB stick, 3.0 or 2.0. So we followed a guide where they installed Unraid on an SSD. When doing this we could boot unraid but it didn't recognize the USB stick until we unplugged it and plugged it in again. But, then it had no config.

We started to try and fix this, which is when I started getting Flash Disk error. The strange thing is now that I have the flash disk error I have the correct config and it sees all my disks. It seems that I can't move the license to a new USB since the original USB is blacklisted. So I am currently quite stuck not knowing how to move forward.

1. Can I get the X7DBE to work decently or should I try and find something else?

2. How can I move my license to a new USB?

tower-diagnostics-20200930-1641.zip 89.87 kB · 1 download

As I got a server with the same motherboard today, I would like to know how you got it to work in more detail. Unraid just won't boot from USB.

Thanks in advance!

4 hours ago, tardezyx said:

As I got a server with the same motherboard today, I would like to know how you got it to work in more detail. Unraid just won't boot from USB.

Thanks in advance!

Hi tardezyx,

I followed this "guide": https://forum.level1techs.com/t/gula-nas-build-the-quest-for-the-right-os/150691

Main thing was to make a copy of the USB on an SSD and boot on the SSD while also having the USB connected.

If you get it to boot then everything else is fine, at least for me.

The other problem I had with missing disks and such was completely my own fault since two of the how swap bays didn't work. When I moved those disks everything worked perfectly.

• Like 1
On 3/6/2021 at 9:09 PM, Print Head said:

Hi tardezyx,

I followed this "guide": https://forum.level1techs.com/t/gula-nas-build-the-quest-for-the-right-os/150691

Main thing was to make a copy of the USB on an SSD and boot on the SSD while also having the USB connected.

If you get it to boot then everything else is fine, at least for me.

The other problem I had with missing disks and such was completely my own fault since two of the how swap bays didn't work. When I moved those disks everything worked perfectly.

What a mess... fortunately the issue here was the VGA-to-HDMI-Converter-Cable. I just bought a direct VGA cable and used an old monitor - voilá, it works like a charme! I can see the RAID controller boot for the first time and after setting it up, Unraid boots from USB without issues anymore. 👌