[SOLVED] Cache drive almost full even when shares set to "Yes"

I got a warning saying cache was almost full so i changed some of the shares to "Yes" so mover could tidy up.

I'd rather not have the VMs running on the array and should have the space on the ssd if they are only using 51G.

But it carried on filling up. Now i have moved all the shares to "yes" as im almost out of space but mover is doing nothing.  Just says its finished a few seconds later but the folders/files are all still there on /mnt/cache/

Also du -sh shows only 72gb when GUI says 113Gb (out of 120gb)

Some other posts mentioned Windows VMs taking more space than the vdisk size shows but i think my problem is just that mover is not actually moving anything so the drive just fills up.

root@Tower:~# du -sh /mnt/cache/
72G     /mnt/cache/
root@Tower:~# du -sh /mnt/cache/vms/
51G     /mnt/cache/vms/
root@Tower:~# du -sh /mnt/cache/vms/ispconfig.qcow2 
41G     /mnt/cache/vms/ispconfig.qcow2
root@Tower:~# du -sh /mnt/cache/vms/scudvpn.qcow2 
9.9G    /mnt/cache/vms/scudvpn.qcow2

The first VM is 100Gb but the actual size is only 41G

ispconfig
started        4    8192M    1 / 100G    VNC:5901    ON
 DISK DEVICES    BUS    CAPACITY    ALLOCATION
/mnt/user/vms/ispconfig.qcow2    VirtIO    100G    41G
scudvpn
started        4    2048M    1 / 10G    VNC:5900    ON
 DISK DEVICES    BUS    CAPACITY    ALLOCATION
/mnt/user/vms/scudvpn.qcow2    VirtIO    10G    10G

Version: 6.8.3 Server
Description
Registration
UptimeTower • 192.168.0.18
Media server
Unraid OS Basic
25 days, 21 hours, 38 minutes

NAME    COMMENT    SMB    NFS    AFP    CACHE    SIZE    FREE    VIEW
amy        Private    -    -                              No    Compute...    556 GB    Browse /mnt/user/amy
appdata    application data    -    -    -          Yes    Compute...    564 GB    Browse /mnt/user/appdata
domains    saved VM instances    -    -    -     No    Compute...    564 GB    Browse /mnt/user/domains
isos    ISO images    Public    -    -                Yes    Compute...    556 GB    Browse /mnt/user/isos
Media        Public    -    -                               No    Compute...    556 GB    Browse /mnt/user/Media
share        Private    -    -                             No    Compute...    556 GB    Browse /mnt/user/share
system    system data    -    -    -                  Yes    Compute...    564 GB    Browse /mnt/user/system
timemachine    Mac Backup    Public    -    -    No    Compute...    556 GB    Browse /mnt/user/timemachine
vms        Private    -    -                                 Yes    Compute...    564 GB    

Is it safe to set all the folders to "No".  Manually rm -rf /mnt/cache/ and then set the VM and appdata back to "Prefer"? I have backups of all VMs and appdata dockers just in case.

Thank you in advance.

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

Thank you Jorge. I found that one too but I don’t have any Windows VMs. Only 2x Ubuntu VMs.

shouldnt setting the cache on a folder to “Yes” move all the data to the array and leave only sym links on the cache?

Either mover is not working or my understanding of how it works is incorrect. Probably the later but I need some help so I can move the VMs and dockers back to the cache and stop the warnings.

• JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Cache drive almost full even when shares set to "Yes"