(SOLVED) Cache / Mover Issues or Clarifications

I think I got something all backwards here.

I am trying to empty all my cache drives in order to swap cache my SSD drives, so I set all my shares to Yes and started the mover.

Use cache (for new files/directories): Yes - Mover transfers files from cache to array

I hit the move button under the Array Operation and now data from Array is moving into the Cache?  What's going on here.  It should be the other way around right?   

I can't stop it and I won't so I won't mess anything up but most likely the cache drive will be full in no time. 

Did I make changes in the wrong place?  Can someone please guide me?

Am I missing something? I am very very confused now

CM-1.png

Edited by johnwhicker

According to your diagnostics, all your user shares are set to cache-no. Also looks like you rebooted since you ran mover so there isn't anything in syslog about that either.

Note that mover can't move open files, so if you had the Docker or VM services running, it can't move those files. The user shares for that are usually appdata, domains, system.

And, mover won't move duplicates, so if a file already exists on the destination, it doesn't get moved.

Cache-yes is indeed the correct setting to get things move from cache to array. What made you think it was going the other way?

19 minutes ago, trurl said:

According to your diagnostics, all your user shares are set to cache-no. Also looks like you rebooted since you ran mover so there isn't anything in syslog about that either.

Note that mover can't move open files, so if you had the Docker or VM services running, it can't move those files. The user shares for that are usually appdata, domains, system.

And, mover won't move duplicates, so if a file already exists on the destination, it doesn't get moved.

Cache-yes is indeed the correct setting to get things move from cache to array. What made you think it was going the other way?

Well the cache was about 24GB before I hit the move button and is now 187GB. So yes stuff was moving from array into cache for sure.  It was moving stuff from array that I never had in cache to begin with.  WEIRD

So I managed to reboot and the mover is stoped now.

Right now I have some shares data on the cache drive and I want to move it all back to array. 

Do I set each share to "Yes" and hit the "move" button under the "Array Operations"

Here is my current Diagnostic with all my shares set to yes.  Is this the right place to hit the mover button?

All I want is all my cache empty before I swap the SSD drives.  You're saying that mover won't move duplicates, but would it delete from the cache drive or I have to do it manually.  I am so so confused now :(

And THANKS so much of course.

nas-unraid-diagnostics-20201022-1455.zip

Edited by johnwhicker
1 hour ago, trurl said:

You might go to Settings - Scheduler and enable mover logging if it isn't already so we can see what is happening, but I doubt very seriously it will move anything to cache with everything set to cache-yes.

Thanks, I rebooted and set everything to yes and started the mover.  Looks like is moving stuff back into the array.  Lets see how it ends.

So strange. Worked as expect and managed to remove my 3rd SSD drive from the cache pool.  So strange

Edited by johnwhicker