SSD as cache drive really worth the expense?

I'm using a 1tb eads Drive as my cache now and I'm having transfer speed issues from my other machines in the network. I'm on 1 Gb network and just seems slow to transfer files to cache drive at 10 MB a sec that Mega Bytes not bits. Wondering if that EADS drive is the issue

Your disk may be slow depending on if it needs to be jumpered and what version of unraid and hardware you are running so a bit more info please.

See: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=8780.0

As for cache drives, I don't use one. I get around 30mb/s writes to the array, with a hdd cache i was getting it up around 50-60. The only problem with ssd's are the size. Unless you want to copy one blu-ray rip to use straight I found I probably saved maybe 10 mins for a hdd cache, ripping the blu-ray to iso still took up to an 30-60 min so I found cache's not that much use.

Josh

Your disk may be slow depending on if it needs to be jumpered and what version of unraid and hardware you are running so a bit more info please.

See: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=8780.0

As for cache drives, I don't use one. I get around 30mb/s writes to the array, with a hdd cache i was getting it up around 50-60. The only problem with ssd's are the size. Unless you want to copy one blu-ray rip to use straight I found I probably saved maybe 10 mins for a hdd cache, ripping the blu-ray to iso still took up to an 30-60 min so I found cache's not that much use.

Josh

I have jumpered all the EARS drives (Right out of the packaging) I'm starting to think it maybe just an issue with moving files from one hard drive to another. I don't really know. As I write this it is moving files to the unraid box at around 22 MB/s

then i asume it will be the disk giving you problems...

I have seen other people on the forums who achieve 65+ speeds to the cache drive

so i am not the only one :)

try to exchange your cache drive for another one and see if it get better... you are sure you enabled the cache drive for all your usershares ?

otherwise you would be writing to your array directly and still then 10mb/s would be slow ... i write between 30 and 40mb's straight to my array ...

Archived