6.5.2 Copying files, system hung, had to manually hard restart

Hi,

I'm sorry that my first post on this forum is a help request.

I've just set up an unraid system, and was in the process of copying some files over when I started getting messages that the copies were failing. The messages themselves weren't too helpful, just that the file couldn't be copied.

I tried logging into the web ui dashboard, but it just timed out. I tried pinging the machine, and I think it responded (sorry, it was a little while ago, and I've been trying lots of things). I couldn't navigate to the shares via Windows Explorer either. When I logged into my router, it showed the machine as connected.

I don't have an easy way of connecting a monitor and keyboard to the machine itself.

I tried resetting the router, hoping that would somehow achieve something, but it didn't. It just meant I could no longer see the unraid machine as connected when I logged into the router, and pinging the unraid machine now didn't work.

So I had to hit the reset button on the unraid machine.

The machine has come back up, and is now going through a parity check.

So, is there anything else I could have done? Would connecting a monitor and keyboard have shown me anything? Is there some other way I could have connected? Or sent through a command to do a 'proper' shutdown / reset?

Is there anything I can check now, once the parity check is done, to try to find the cause of the problem? I set up the email system to send me alerts on things like overheating, and I haven't had anything through. It was happily copying files, and then it just seemed to freeze.

Again, sorry this is my first post, and if I've left something out, or if I can give anymore info, just let me know.

Edited by WelshSteW
6 hours ago, JorgeB said:

If it happens again setup the syslog server and then post that log, but you need update to latest Unraid first..

Ok, I'll sort that out this week.

48 minutes ago, trurl said:

How (Why?) did you setup a new system on a version that is more than 2 years old?

I procrastinate! No, I started all this a while ago, and then various things happened which meant it got put on hold. It's only recently I've been in a position to look at it again. I should have redone the USB drive with the most recent version, you're right.