Treatment of spun down drives after server wakes up from S3 sleep

Hi there,

I'm currently testing Unraid on my Desktop PC to get a feel for the software before I go out and build myself a NAS/Server. Everything has worked out to my liking so far, but I stumbled onto something that I can't quite figure out myself.

I'm going to use multiple HDDs in my NAS and since I won't actually "use" them most of the time, I want them to be spun down after inactivity. I attached a WD Blue 500GB to my Desktop PC, configured the spin down to 15 minutes and it actually works. So far, so good. The thing that has not worked properly so far is how the drive behaves after I send the PC to S3 sleep with the S3 sleep plugin. Before the PC went to sleep, the drive was spun down:

Nov 15 11:09:34 Tower kernel: mdcmd (45): spindown 1[/CODE] 

Based on my configuration, the PC went to sleep ~5 minutes later:

[Code]Nov 15 11:14:42 Tower kernel: PM: suspend entry (deep)

Nov 15 11:14:42 Tower kernel: PM: Syncing filesystems ... done.[/CODE]

I immediately woke it up again via LAN. The log shows me this:

[CODE]Nov 15 11:15:12 Tower kernel: sd 5:0:0:0: [sdc] Synchronizing SCSI cache

Nov 15 11:15:12 Tower kernel: sd 5:0:0:0: [sdc] Stopping disk

Nov 15 11:15:12 Tower kernel: sd 5:0:0:0: [sdc] Starting disk[/CODE]

Immediately upon waking the PC back up, the drive spun back up. Now for one, this is not what I'm looking for: I want the drive to stay spun down so I can run the NAS when I need it via the SSD I'm going to install and put it to sleep when I don't without constantly waking up the HDDs. Secondly though, Unraid doesn't realize that the drive is running again. This is what it looks like after the PC is back online:

grafik.png.368ebe6cd97d330d521cc349b29f356a.png

The connection to the drive is not lost though: I can still spin it down manually. And clicking on "spin up" makes the little circle next to "Disk 1" turn green, ie Unraid realizes that the drive is spun up again.

So I guess my two issues are this:

1) Is it possible to keep the drives asleep after waking the system back up? I've managed to actually accomplish that twice so far, but I have not been able to figure out how since I didn't do anything differently.

2) Is this normal behavior for Unraid when it comes to spun down drives? The drives start back up, yet Unraid doesn't realize it seems to be something that should not be the case, no?

BTW: I just did a manual check

Drive is spun up => Manual Sleep => Wake On Lan => Drive spins up and Unraid shows this with the green circle

Drive is spun down => Manual Sleep => Wake On Lan => Drive spins up and Unraid shows me a grey circle, which means that it's not just an issue with automatic sleep