Parity replacement drive bigger than existing

Hello

I am using Unraid 6.8.3 on a Windows10 64 pro OS

My current single parity drive is 6TB,  it is working perfectly but I want to replace it with 10TB to allow for drive expansion.

I am experiencing problems in that when the new 10TB is inserted in the drive it is not seen by the server.

There was no facility offered to unasign the old 6 TB and assign the new 10 TB in the parity slot.

I have tried using an empty slot and the 10TB is seen but no facility available to format the drive.?

My understanding is that for upgrading to a new larger parity drive, all that is required is to remove old drive replace with new. Unraid will do the rest.

I am currently running without parity because of this issue.

Do I need to format this disk ahead of inserting it in the parity slot?, if so how do I do it?

If not, why is it not being seen in the parity slot, and how do I achieve it.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, TopTrainer said:

Hello

I am using Unraid 6.8.3 on a Windows10 64 pro OS

My current single parity drive is 6TB,  it is working perfectly but I want to replace it with 10TB to allow for drive expansion.

I am experiencing problems in that when the new 10TB is inserted in the drive it is not seen by the server.

There was no facility offered to unasign the old 6 TB and assign the new 10 TB in the parity slot.

I have tried using an empty slot and the 10TB is seen but no facility available to format the drive.?

My understanding is that for upgrading to a new larger parity drive, all that is required is to remove old drive replace with new. Unraid will do the rest.

I am currently running without parity because of this issue.

Do I need to format this disk ahead of inserting it in the parity slot?, if so how do I do it?

If not, why is it not being seen in the parity slot, and how do I achieve it.

Thanks

No, you do not need to format the 10TB drive to use it as a parity drive - in fact building parity overwrites whatever is already on the drive so formatting would be a waste of time.

it should just be a case of stopping the array; changing the assignment of the parity drive; starting the array to build parity on the new drive.

if you cannot do this then please post your system’s diagnostics zip file (obtained via Tools -> Diagnostics) so we can see what is going on.

4 hours ago, itimpi said:

No, you do not need to format the 10TB drive to use it as a parity drive - in fact building parity overwrites whatever is already on the drive so formatting would be a waste of time.

it should just be a case of stopping the array; changing the assignment of the parity drive; starting the array to build parity on the new drive.

if you cannot do this then please post your system’s diagnostics zip file (obtained via Tools -> Diagnostics) so we can see what is going on.

Thanks for your reply

As you have requested I have attached the diagnostics report - The new drive 10 TB is currently in the Parity slot which shows unassigned and no drop down facility to assign it. - looking forward to sorting this out.

Thanks

trooper1-diagnostics-20201115-2202.zip

2 minutes ago, TopTrainer said:

The new drive 10 TB is currently in the Parity slot which shows unassigned and no drop down facility to assign it. - looking forward to sorting this out

Not quite sure what you meant by this?  I assume you did NOT mean it is assigned to the parity slot - just that it is physically plugged in?

I could not see any sign of Unraid detecting the presence of the 10GB drive being present in the system.   Are you sure it is cabled up correctly?   Can it be seen at the BIOS level?

30 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Not quite sure what you meant by this?  I assume you did NOT mean it is assigned to the parity slot - just that it is physically plugged in?

I could not see any sign of Unraid detecting the presence of the 10GB drive being present in the system.   Are you sure it is cabled up correctly?   Can it be seen at the BIOS level?

Thank you for your replies

Please disregard this issue, 10TB now currently rebuilding parity please show this as solved.