[SOLVED] The mover is not moving off the cache. I've tried everything I can think of.

Another mover not moving situation. I've checked everything I can. It should be moving and it isn't.

Never had this happen before.

Tried the following:

• All the shares are set to "yes" for use cache drive.
  • I've stopped the docker service,
  • I've stopped any VMs (don't have any currently now anyway)
  • Checked permissions using Docker Safe Permissions,
  • Enabled logging to figure out why.

I cannot get the files off the cache drive. It won't move them and I don't even see it trying in the log.

I don't know what is happening, and I'm going nuts trying to sort this.

What am I doing wrong?

Here's the diagnostics.

Edited by ShowerBomb
Dec  8 07:04:06 Tower move: move: create_parent: /mnt/disk3/appdata/airsonic error: No space left on device
Dec  8 07:04:06 Tower move: move: file /mnt/disk3/appdata/airsonic/thumbs/400/3784cc61d8762b7ad309a0fbc7414a3d.jpeg
Dec  8 07:04:06 Tower shfs: cache disk full

It's failing to move appdata to cache because cache if full (technically the fs is fully allocated), and since that fails it won't try to move anything else, see here to fix the cache issue.

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

Dec  8 07:04:06 Tower move: move: create_parent: /mnt/disk3/appdata/airsonic error: No space left on device
Dec  8 07:04:06 Tower move: move: file /mnt/disk3/appdata/airsonic/thumbs/400/3784cc61d8762b7ad309a0fbc7414a3d.jpeg
Dec  8 07:04:06 Tower shfs: cache disk full

It's failing to move appdata to cache because cache if full (technically the fs is fully allocated), and since that fails it won't try to move anything else, see here to fix the cache issue.

Sounds like a good start. I'll give it a go doing a btrfs balance. I should have just used xfs.

Mark it resolved. Thank you JorgeB.

Despite appearing almost 50% empty, the actual reason the mover was choking during the move was because I didn't run a "balance" on the BTRFS, as suggested by the link above. Once I ran the balance using the unraid GUI, which took about 2 hours for the 240gb drive, I was able to effectively move all but the "prefer cache" items off the drive by invoking a mover script.

So the moral of the story: you need to do a balance if you use btrfs and the mover is stopping. OR just use XFS if you have one cache drive. I also changed the "minimum free space" in share settings from 0kb to 60gb, as that would be the largest file I would likely write. This way it won't try to write a very large file cache drive if I am downloading one.

Edited by ShowerBomb
  • Like 1