• [6.0-beta6] User Share Copy Bug

SSD
    • Closed
    Message added by JorgeB,

Please be aware that this thread was initially created in 2014, original comments were copied here from another source, because of that, the date and time shown for those comments are not accurate.

unRAID OS Version: 6.0-beta6 (may go back to the beginning of unRAID)

Description: If a user attempts to copy files from a disk included in a user share, to the user share, even after removing the disk from the user share, the copy will result in the files on the disk to be truncated and data lost. I believe that behind the scenes, FUSE sees that files are being overwritten, and it is trying to copy the files from the disk share on top of themselves, resulting in the data loss.

How to reproduce:

I have not done this myself. See description.

Other information:

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

3 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

It is, because that's a disk share, can't do that.

OK. That's good to know. I read the thread and it was a little confusing, or maybe I don't understand.
    Once I get consolidated here I think I may remove any exported disk share from the admin user, so I cannot map the disk anywhere and only leave the disks I want to map available for data outside the user share scope.

That would leave /disk/<foldernames> separate from /user/<foldername>
    Then there is no ability to mess things up 

1 minute ago, bombz said:

That would leave /disk/<foldernames> separate from /user/<foldername>

No. All top level folders on any disk included in user shares are not separate from user shares. It is possible to exclude specific disks from all user shares in Global Share Settings, but I don't recommend it. Better to just work with the disks only if you want to move things on the server.

I am working on another post with more information for this.

There is a builtin file manager called Midnight Commander (mc from the command line). Google it to see if maybe it is something you can use. Many people use Krusader docker for file management directly on the server.

Whichever method you use, you have to be aware of this "surprise" and also another one. This one is the most important as it can result in data loss.

I always recommend not sharing disks on the network just for this reason. It is too easy to make a mistake. You say not all users have access, but it sounds like you may be just as dangerous yourself.

Only work with user shares, or only work with disk. Never both at the same time. And what you are trying to do may not have the result you are after anyway due to the 2nd "surprise".

Read this post I made some time ago on another thread about these 2 "surprises":

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/61985-file-browser-in-webui/?do=findComment&comment=723474

Going back in this thread to your first post here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/32836-user-share-copy-bug/?do=findComment&comment=844128

Just because you haven't got disk1 included in the user share doesn't mean it isn't part of the user share. Share settings are really just telling Unraid where to write new files. When reading from a user share, it will include any disk that has a top level folder named for that share. The user shares are just the top level folders on cache and array disks.

As mentioned, it is possible to exclude specific disks from ALL user shares, but it is rarely used and I have never tried it.

19 minutes ago, trurl said:

Going back in this thread to your first post here:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/32836-user-share-copy-bug/?do=findComment&comment=844128

Just because you haven't got disk1 included in the user share doesn't mean it isn't part of the user share. Share settings are really just telling Unraid where to write new files. When reading from a user share, it will include any disk that has a top level folder named for that share. The user shares are just the top level folders on cache and array disks.

As mentioned, it is possible to exclude specific disks from ALL user shares, but it is rarely used and I have never tried it.

Interesting and confusing. From my attached screen, you are saying DISK1 is included in this user share, even though it is not specifically specified in the user share itself?

That's the confusing part.

Right now I am moving data from user/share -> user/share 

I guess I will have to see how it goes, I am hesitant to make any changes now, but that will not allow me to consolidate. 

Thank you for the feedback.

new.JPG.46b193e94a0067a47052904c9ccde71f.JPG

5 minutes ago, bombz said:

From my attached screen, you are saying DISK1 is included in this user share, even though it is not specifically specified in the user share itself?

That Included setting just makes it so Unraid will choose from only those disks when deciding where to write a new file.

11 minutes ago, bombz said:

Right now I am moving data from user/share -> user/share 

That is safe (no data loss), but possibly still subject to the surprise #2 I mentioned.

Another thing people often use for moving files on their server is the unBALANCE plugin.

29 minutes ago, trurl said:

That Included setting just makes it so Unraid will choose from only those disks when deciding where to write a new file.

That is safe (no data loss), but possibly still subject to the surprise #2 I mentioned.

Another thing people often use for moving files on their server is the unBALANCE plugin.

Right, therefore disk 1 is outside any /user/share

to which is why I would keep disk 1 as a /disk/share to write to when I needed

OK

I will look into this. I would love some type of GUI i can run from Windows to move files within the server without having to hop out of the server.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Read this post I made some time ago on another thread about these 2 "surprises":

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/61985-file-browser-in-webui/?do=findComment&comment=723474

as posted in 2 surpises:
    The workaround for this is to copy from source to destination, so that new files get created following the user share settings, then deleting from the source.

The method I am using is moving data from /user/share -> /user/share
    Essentially this is not a source to destination move as I am not using the direct disk path. This was the confusing part, as /user/share -> /user/share/ was deemed safe, this is contraindicating that.

47 minutes ago, bombz said:

Right, therefore disk 1 is outside any /user/share

to which is why I would keep disk 1 as a /disk/share to write to when I needed

Wrong. Disk1 is part of any user share that has the (top level) folder for the share. If that folder for the user share is on disk1, then when you read from that user share, files on disk one are included. It is only when writing new files to that user share that Unraid will not choose disk1.

21 minutes ago, bombz said:

as posted in 2 surpises:
    The workaround for this is to copy from source to destination, so that new files get created following the user share settings, then deleting from the source.

The method I am using is moving data from /user/share -> /user/share
    Essentially this is not a source to destination move as I am not using the direct disk path. This was the confusing part, as /user/share -> /user/share/ was deemed safe, this is contraindicating that.

Surprise #2 has nothing to do with the "user share copy bug" as it is discussed in this current thread.

Surprise #2 is a totally different issue. Surprise #2 is only about moving from user share to user share, which is what you say you are doing and the reason I brought it up again.

Linux may just move the file on the same disk instead of moving it to another disk, even if the destination user share is configured to not write files to that same disk.

3 hours ago, trurl said:

unBALANCE is wonderful I have it installed. It is strictly for moving data from disk to disk, which is awesome during a migration or backup! So thank you.
    I will see if I can get it to move share -> share

EDIT:
    Looks like a i will move the data around with unBALANCED and monitor as the disk fills. Once filled move other data to another disk, and keep the same DIR structure throughout.
    I was thinking of disabling parity doing this but that raises some flags. I suppose I could enable turbo write

2 hours ago, SSD said:

An option of detecting an attempt to copy a file from a disk share to a user share and omitting the disk share from the possible destination has been suggested and hopefully Tom will comment on whether that or something similar is possibl

I think the underlying issue is inherent in Unraid in that the User Share level is not visible when working at the physical drive level.

Isn’t an easier solution to always use something like Dynamix File Manager to handle the copying/moving as it will not allow you to mix User Share and Disk Shares in the same command.

9 hours ago, itimpi said:

This is one of the reasons that Disk Shares are disabled by default on Unraid as it reduces the chance of a user encountering it by accident.  

A "thing" in an OS, that can be done "by accident, is a design error or total failure.

So this is really a thing what new linux-users can stress a lot or damage their whole data content...

But we all know: Linux is different...