• [SOLVED] Parity Check way slower with RC2 than RC1.

matty2k
    • Closed

Not sure if this issue is related to RC2, but I realized, that my last parity check while on RC1 was a lot faster than may recent parity check on RC2.

I have attached the diagnostics too, but do not experiencing any problems. Array configuration did not change. All drives are still the same. Some more data is now stored on the drives, but not double (what also would not significantly influence the time).

Actually I only set up syslog server and storing syslog on USB flash for investigating two reboots in the past.

I have also realized decreased speed when copy data with krusader from disk share to diskshare.

image.thumb.png.53ae816aa9dee0cd0587fab49bdb8d37.png

nasa-diagnostics-20211214-1934.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

250MB/s average speed is impossible with the currently assigned array devices, it's most likely the result of an 8TB rebuild and an old bug, speed shown considers the full parity size vs the actual size rebuilt.

100MB/S is realistic depending on the type of drives your are using.

One other factor that can screw the displayed speed of the check is pausing the check. I think it only considers the time after the check was resumed but still the complete capacity.

It looks like that's what happen to you from the picture.

Here is an example from my history:

image.thumb.png.ef3aa040b7362f1e063c6d7d794afdd3.png

When the parity check is paused midway, it will show the duration and speed calculation from the point it is resumed.

This results in an incorrect number, which is the case here.

My parity-check log shows rc2 achieves the same speed as earlier versions (including rc1).

1 hour ago, bonienl said:

Next Unraid version will have the correct values when parity check is paused and resumed.

Just for interest will this be for the whole run or just the last increment?  Just asking to see if I might need to revisit the code in the Parity Check Tuning plugin that tries to give the correct values for the run as a whole.

The GUI keeps track of pause and resume times, it uses these together with the existing vars to calculate the correct duration and speed.

This won’t affect your plugin.

1 hour ago, JorgeB said:

would it be possible to also fix this long standing bug?

You have the memory of an elephant :)

Seems simple, but isn't straightforward to solve. I put it on my todo list!

• Like 1