• [6.11.0] SMB passwords do not work anymore after upgrade from 6.10

MAM59
    • Closed

yesterday I have tried to update my working 6.10 system to 6.11,

The update seemed to work flawlessly at the beginning.

But then more and more users rang me up, they could not access the shares anymore. Their (stored) passwords were refused.

I noticed that even me, the admin, was locked out 😞

All access from windows machines was denied, FreeBSD with Samba also could not mount shares anymore, just Boxes with Libreelec (Linux) still could connect to the shares.

Of course I did not change a thing.

Tries to reset passwords or to use public shares instead also failed miserably.

At the end, I had to switch back to 6.10 and everything started to work again like before.

I have no diagnostics from 6.11 ( I attach the ones from working 6.10), after 2 hours of fiddling users were about to kill me...

The only errors or strangeness I have noticed:

As soon as someone wanted to connect to an (SMB) share, the UNRAID box noted down dozens or hundreds of lines like these:

Sep 24 17:23:57 F nginx: 2022/09/24 17:23:57 [error] 7090#7090: *5754 limiting requests, excess: 20.514 by zone "authlimit", client: 2001:470:XXX, server: , request: "PROPFIND /login HTTP/1.1", host: "f"
    Sep 24 17:23:57 F nginx: 2022/09/24 17:23:57 [error] 7090#7090: *5756 limiting requests, excess: 20.494 by zone "authlimit", client: 2001:470:XXX, server: , request: "PROPFIND /login HTTP/1.1", host: "f"

What the hell has nginx to do with samba authentication???

These errors are repeatable, just try to mount a share and they bomb your syslog

More infos: the windows boxes are part of a domain (with the same name as the UNRAID workgroup), but the FreeBSD Box is not part of this domain, so the denial of the passwords may have nothing to do with domain joined or not.

Maybe there is a cypher method that is not supported/included anymore in 6.11?

f-diagnostics-20220925-0643.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

4 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

If I understood correctly one of the clients still works with v6.11?

This is correct.  One win11 Pro connects the other claims auth error when connecting to the samba server.  I checked Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters  

and only difference is the one that does connect has FileInfoCacheLifetime -> 0x0 and FileNotFoundCacheLifetime -> 0x0 but seems not relevant to SMB auth.  Also when on 6.11 I delete the Stored Credentials on the computer that would not connect and had no effect.  Ran a sfc /scannow to rule out bad files. Not sure what else to check on the windows settings for issues so falling back to just running 6.10

I also have this problem. Network credentials no longer accepted after upgrading to 6.11. Once I reverted back to 6.10, everything works again. Is there a fix for this?

Edited by Erich
    3 hours ago, JorgeB said:

If I understood correctly one of the clients still works with v6.11?

In my case, the shares worked right after upgraded to v6.11, but failed to connect after some time.

On 9/27/2022 at 5:38 AM, D.Romeleitis said:

Found a solution for me. My shares had as SMB Security Settings -> Security = "Private". Switched this setting to "Secure" and I have access again. Description says:

Public All users including guests have full read/write access.

Secure All users including guests have read access, you select which of your users have write access.

Private No guest access at all, you select which of your users have read/write, read-only access or no access.

So only a workaround, but this means there is no problem with SMB Version but how User & Passwords are handled ?!?

I have Security set to "Private" as well, but unfortunately switching to "Secure" doesn't fix the problem for me.

Edited by systract

I'm trying to investigate this issue, but to me not yet clear cut it's a Samba problem, it's working correctly for most users and for example for @DrQone of two Windows 11 clients works while the other does not, so the problem might be Unraid but it also might be the non working client.

• Upvote 1
    6 hours ago, JorgeB said:

I set it to "Send NTLMv2 response only" based on the instruction, then upgrade my unRaid to v6.11.0, initially the shares are working, but after a few minutes Windows  client can't connect again. Same experience as before.

Below are the last lines of the log:

Sep 29 09:39:14 NAS  nmbd[2675]:   
    Sep 29 09:39:14 NAS  nmbd[2675]:   Samba name server NAS is now a local master browser for workgroup WORKGROUP on subnet 172.17.0.1
    Sep 29 09:39:14 NAS  nmbd[2675]:   
    Sep 29 09:39:14 NAS  nmbd[2675]:   *****

• Like 1

I can confirm that changing the policy worked for me and I am now able to access private shares.

For others and my future reference (as per link above)

run secpol.msc browse to Security Settings > Local Policies > Security Options > Network security: LAN Manager authentication level

Mine was "Not Defined", changed it to "Send NTLMv2 response only". Worked immediately , no need to logout / reboot.

Edit: I see @systract had issues after a few minutes, I will monitor to see how long this lasts for.

Edited by jsebright
    update
    • Like 1
    1 hour ago, systract said:

but after a few minutes Windows  client can't connect again.

This part is strange, lets see how it goes for others.

I followed the instructions about changing the security policy to "NTLMv2 response only/refuse LM and NTLM" and upgraded Unraid to 6.11. I am now able to access the Unraid server from my Windows machine. So it seems to have resolved this issue for me.

• Like 1
    10 hours ago, JorgeB said:

Resolved my issue.  Also my win11 pro that was working was set to "Not Defined".  The one that did not work was "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated"  and changing that to "Send NTLMv2 response only" allows me to connect to the private shares again.  Not sure what in the past may have set this to something other than "Not defined"  Thanks for the time and resolution to this issue.

• Like 1

For those still stuck, add this to "Settings/SMB/SMB Extras/Samba extra configuration"

ntlm auth = Yes

Please report back if this solves connectivity issues.

Just hit this problem after upgrading my home system to 6.11.0 and rebooting my Windows machine. Confirmed that changing to "Send NTLMv2 response only" immediately fixed the issue (no reboot of unraid or Windows needed).

In case it helps debugging, my Windows 11 Pro PC was set to "Send LM & NTLM - use NTLMv2 session security if negotiated" and my other Windows 10 Pro PC was "Not Defined".

Neither are on AD, just home "WORKGROUP"

For reference, as others above have said:

start -> Run -> secpol.msc

then

Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options -> "Network security: LAN Manager authentication level"

Double click and change this and hit OK

image.png.6a55ec5c3b0e5bbbadd9ae5d72af7d73.png