• [6.12.9] Disks missing after upgrading to 6.12.9

mgrinspan
    • Urgent

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

15 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Same as this one:

https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/stable-releases/zpool-problems-after-upgrading-to-the-6129-r2921/

Is this a 6 port controller or does it have more ports, i.e., it has a SATA port multiplier?

It's an ASM1166 which I believe is a 6 port controller, but the card its on has 10 ports. I'm only using 6 of them (and 4 other disks connected directly to the motherboard's SATA ports) but possibly 2 of them are on the "wrong" ports?

This is the card in question https://www.amazon.com/Qphone12-Adapter-Interface-Expansion-Controller/dp/B09BM318S7

Edited by mgrinspan
    1 minute ago, mgrinspan said:

but possibly 2 of them are on the "wrong" ports?

If there are 10 ports, 5 of them will from a SATA port multiplier, so with v6.12.9 you could only use 5 device tops, from what I've found, it was a change in the kernel that will make any devices connected to a SATA PM on these controllers unavailable, because apparently they don't report the PM as they should, this change has already been reverted, but it didn't make it to the kernel this release is using.

P.S. note that controllers with port multipliers are generally not recommended, but because of other issues that they can have, not this.

8 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

If there are 10 ports, 5 of them will from a SATA port multiplier, so with v6.12.9 you could only use 5 device tops, from what I've found, it was a change in the kernel that will make any devices connected to a SATA PM on these controllers unavailable, because apparently they don't report the PM as they should, this change has already been reverted, but it didn't make it to the kernel this release is using.

P.S. note that controllers with port multipliers are generally not recommended, but because of other issues that they can have, not this.

Thank you, good to know. Do you have any recommendations for a PCIe->SATA card with 10 or more ports that don't use multipliers? I'm only using 6 today but I expect to use more in the future, and my motherboard only has 1 PCIe slot available.

Same issue here.  I have a 10-port SATA adapter with an ASM1166.  Of the 9 drives in the array, 3 of them are missing.  Seems like the issue's been identified.  Is it best to rollback to 6.12.8 or will there be a hotfix for 6.12.9?

1 hour ago, Haeldar said:

Is it best to rollback to 6.12.8 or will there be a hotfix for 6.12.9?

For the time being you need to revert.   Any ‘hot fix’ would get a higher patch number (e.g. 6.12.10).

If there was still any remaining doubt, I switched to a 6-port ASM1166 (no port multipliers) and all of my disks show up now after upgrading again.

• Like 1

same issue here but with my motherboard drivers.
    unraid see my controller and those disks but not my MB connected drives.

Edit:

After reverting back to 6.12.8, all disks are working again.

Edited by Hansa
    3 hours ago, Hansa said:

unraid see my controller and those disks but not my MB connected drives.

Boards usually don't have controllers with SATA port multipliers, what board model are you using? If you have the diags from v6.12.9 please post them also.

43 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Boards usually don't have controllers with SATA port multipliers, what board model are you using? If you have the diags from v6.12.9 please post them also.

MSI 970A-G43 (MS-7693) Version 3.0

No logs since i was quick to revert back to 6.12.8.

but you could be correct, i should have been more observant on the serials of the disks that were missing.

My bad. sorry.

SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1166 Serial ATA Controller (rev 02) 10 ports.

Do you think this board with multipliers will be working in the future?

Regards

// Hans

54 minutes ago, Hansa said:

SATA controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1166 Serial ATA Controller (rev 02) 10 ports.

Yep, this would be the problem, not the board SATA controller.

55 minutes ago, Hansa said:

Do you think this board with multipliers will be working in the future?

6.12.10 should be out soon with a fix.

• Thanks 1

Anyone had the chance to test v6.12.10-rc.1? I don't have one of these controllers to test with, neither does anyone at LT, it would be good to know if this is really fixed so they can release 6.12.10 stable.

Hi all,

Against better judgement i updated to 6.12.10 RC.1... but for the greater good..... 🙂

All disks present with multiplyer board.. 
    Not found any other issues.

regards

// Hans

Edited by Hansa
    • Like 1