• 6.6.0-6.6.1 LSI 9211-8i Issues

Maticks
    • Minor

I upgraded to 6.6.0 when it came out and within 30 minutes my drives started throwing read errors.

I rolled back and discovered the issues were still there, but i did have a faulty power supply it seems.

I've replaced my Power Supply and everything is stable again.

I tried upgrading to 6.6.1 again and within 30 minutes read errors.

I have rolled back to 6.5.3 till its fixed but something seems to have changed with the mpt2sas driver.

Looking for LSI and 6.6.0 i've found a few others running into the same issue.

I am back on 6.5.3, happy to test anything out if you want me to add any custom commands.

I'll attach my diag file if that helps.

A friend of mine who runs Unraid upgraded and has the same 9211-8i card i have for his array and it did the same thing.

He has a 6700 and i have a 4770 CPU both are Intel.

Sep 29 01:50:39 Vault kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: SAS host is non-operational !!!!
    ### [PREVIOUS LINE REPEATED 5 TIMES] ###
    Sep 29 01:50:44 Vault kernel: mpt2sas_cm0: _base_fault_reset_work: Running mpt3sas_dead_ioc thread success !!!!

vault-diagnostics-20180929-0959.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I don’t really have much to add other than that I’m running an IBM m1015 cross flashed to the 9211 IT firmware on an i5 3470 with zero issues.

mine is also running IT firmware, and it runs stable on 6.5.3 and when i upgrade to 6.6.1 it starts throwing errors only with that upgrade. :(

Running a plain jane LSI SAS9206-16e - ran stable without any issues since 6beta.

Hmmm - guess if it works you don't really need to flash...

mpt2sas_cm0: LSISAS2308: FWVersion(17.00.01.00), ChipRevision(0x05), BiosVersion(07.33.00.00)

Edited by ken-ji

Looks like when 6.6.X is upgraded to if your LSI Card is running firmware P20.00.00 it needs to be upgraded to P20.00.07.

If not it will be incompatible with 6.6.X and start throwing read errors randomly on drives.

As per the thread attached below, i am waiting till my system is idle then i can try this method i can confirm i am running P20.00.00.

No, 20.00.07 is the latest one and it's working fine, LSI controllers are likely the most used with Unraid at the moment, so if they were a problem with v6.6 I'm certain there would be a lot of bug reports, your issue is likely unrelated.