• 6.6.1 Reboot Bug

Shifttoo
    • Solved Urgent

I followed the in browser "Update Now" link to upgrade to version 6.6.1 from 6.5.3, and my server never came back up. I run my server headless, so when I went to go check on it I found it was stuck in a restart loop. I moved my server to a location where I could hook a monitor/keyboard to it, and found that every time it reached the automatic start splash screen for Unraid it would show “bzimage…ok”, and then “bzroot…ok” and then it crashes and restarts.

When I changed the option to Unraid with GUI mode it will start “bzimage …ok”, and then “bzroot-gui…ok”, and then it starts up and acts as nothing is wrong. If I reboot the server and let go back to an automatic restart it goes back into a restart loop.

I reverted my install back to 6.5.3, and my issue goes away.

I verified my MB is running the latest available BIOS version.

I ran the diagnostics tool under the GUI mode of 6.6.1, so I’m not sure it shows the issue with my server since it seems to work in this mode.

ohmetep-diagnostics-20180930-1929.zip

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Interesting, I have this same issue...

I updated to 6.6 using the release candidates no problem and then updated my BIOS and now I also have this issue, it's an odd one... 

You can see here I discussed it in the later posts:

There have been reports for some time that some hardware configurations only boot in GUI mode.   Not sure the cause has ever been identified.   Most people just leave the system booting into GUI mode even if they never intend to use the GUI locally.

@Shifttoo @J89eu The behavior you are describing was solved for me and many others by booting my server in UEFI mode rather than legacy BIOS.   This started happening for me with unRAID 6.5.0.  Booting into GUI mode works, but "normal" mode gets stuck at loading bzroot.

Kernel and other changes in later versions of Linux mean that many motherboards no longer boot into unRAID properly in legacy mode, but UEFI works.

Try renaming the EFI- folder on the unRAID flash drive to EFI (remove the traling '-') then enter your BIOS, set the first boot device as UEFI:{your flash drive} and remove/disable other boot order options.  If your BIOS specifically has a setting for UEFI boot, enable that.  Mine did not, so, just setting the first boot option as UEFI:{flash drive} took care of it.

See this thread:

Edited by Hoopster
    • Like 1

Thanks all for the responses! @Hoopster My servers MB is new this year, and only has the UEFI type of BIOS. I will try the EFI folder rename fix when I get home from work, and let you know if that works.

2 hours ago, Hoopster said:

Kernel and other changes in later versions of Linux mean that many motherboards no longer boot into unRAID properly in legacy mode, but UEFI works.

Thank you for the help in this topic.  What do you think, maybe it's time that we make UEFI boot the default now?

12 minutes ago, limetech said:

What do you think, maybe it's time that we make UEFI boot the default now?

How would you make it default? IMO it should be enable by default, so either method could be used by selecting the correct bios option, or if a board can only use one or the other it will use it without the user having to make any changes.

We change EFI- to EFI and/or in USB Flash Creator tool have the UEFI checkbox checked by default.

The reason it's not enabled by default now is that there used to be quite a number of buggy UEFI/USB boot motherboards out there and Legacy always just worked.  We added UEFI boot initially because some motherboards required it for proper VM functionality.

On 10/2/2018 at 11:21 AM, limetech said:

What do you think, maybe it's time that we make UEFI boot the default now?

I think UEFI ought to be enabled by default. There probably is not a motherboard manufactured in the past few years that does not support UEFI and for many newer boards that may be all they support.  That trend is likely to continue. 

Then the issue will be how to best handle booting into legacy BIOS with minimal user intervention if UEFI support is non-existent/buggy on older boards.

I have two motherboards in unRAID servers both from the same manufacturer.  The older one still boots BIOS fine but the second, newer one, will only boot into unRAID properly in UEFI.  Both are running unRAID 6.6.1. and both have the latest BIOS available for the board, which, in both cases, was released this year.  The Linux kernel version is clearly not the only determining factor.

Edited by Hoopster
    4 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

Then the issue will be how to best handle booting into legacy BIOS with minimal user intervention if UEFI support is non-existent/buggy on older boards

If it's used on an older board that doesn't support UEFI it's not a problem, as it will boot using legacy bios without user intervention.

If UEFI is buggy the user will have to choose in the bios to boot legacy, or the other away around if legacy is the problem, but AFAIK there's no way LT can choose which one is the default, that will be whatever option the board defaults to.

• Upvote 1

I'm still new to Unraid, so for what its worth I agree. UEFI is the current hardware firmware interface being utilized by most of the mainstream MB manufactures, and has pretty much replaced BIOS.  With Unraid 6.6 being a new release it would make sense to have UEFI be the default.

23 minutes ago, Shifttoo said:

Thanks for guiding me to an easy fix!

I am glad it worked for you and was such an easy fix.  Now you can fully enjoy all the unRAID 6.6.x goodness! 👍