• After update to 6.9.1 server keeps using all resources and freeze

medolino2009
    • Closed Urgent

Hi, i am Miki. I am using unraid software many years and i love it.

After latest update to v6.9.1, CPU goes to 100% after some time (after couple of hours of normal work), gui become unresponsive and after couple hours i can't ping it anymore ...so i need to hard reset server and everything works fine for another couple of hours, until CPU goes to 100% again...

i have 32GB of DDR4 memory, i7 9700 CPU, ASUS PRO moederboard, NVME SSD for cache and 4 normal hard disks connected to SAS/SATA controller (raid controller flashed so it could be used in unraid as normal controller)

Hardware is not changed after update to 6.9.1, everything is same, and on older version of unraid i had no trouble with CPU going to 100%

i use couple of dockers:

freepbx, Emby server, Plex server , mango database, nextcloud, maria database, rocketchat, radarr, sonarr .... that is about it...

Can i downgrade back to lower version ? (every morning i need to reset server because my telephony (freepbx) is not working)

Thank you in advance for your help

Best regards

Miki

EDIT:  This is message i found when i connected monitor to server:

[img]https://i.ibb.co/pwZwcSL/IMG-20210315-112727.jpg[/img]

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

This is an issue specific to your system and doesn't sound like a bug.

You better post your questions under General Support.

To restore the previous version, go to Tools -> Update OS and click "Restore" (reboot required)

i thought because i had no problems with older version, this could be related to new version of unraid.

Thank you for your comment anyways.

19 hours ago, bonienl said:

This is an issue specific to your system and doesn't sound like a bug.

You better post your questions under General Support.

To restore the previous version, go to Tools -> Update OS and click "Restore" (reboot required)

If it doesn't sound a bug in the current release, why suggest rolling back to the previous release?

Looks like multiple users are reporting kernel panics on 6.9.x only - 6.8.x is stable - both here in the forums and on reddit:

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/103544-690-random-crashesrestarts-since-upgrading

https://www.reddit.com/r/unRAID/comments/m5n0za/kernel_panic_help_happens_every_few_days/

https://www.reddit.com/r/unRAID/comments/m3ncd5/weird_crash_and_lost_all_appdata/

https://www.reddit.com/r/unRAID/comments/m3n0wv/nextcloud_docker_not_working_after_crash/

Might be one or several updated drivers misbehaving or something of the like.

Might be a bug.

I understand that is an issue for you and others but bonienl is just trying to help.

18 minutes ago, ChatNoir said:

I understand that is an issue for you and others but bonienl is just trying to help.

Completely understood - and re-reading my comment I see it can be taken as me being a jerk (not my intent) - just making the point that it could very well be a bug. Apologies for being short with my words.

But in researching my problem, I found various other users and threads (as noted) and everyone else attempting to help seems to be jumping to "it's a hardware problem" or "it's just you". Multiple users all having hardware problems within days of a new release that magically go away when reverting to the old release? Seems more like it could be a bug and shouldn't be dismissed so quickly. From what I found, it seems that users aren't submitting bug reports. They're going to Reddit and/or other areas of the forums. It might not be on everyone's radar just yet.

Speaking of reddit - @medolino2009 - do you have any dockers with custom IPs?

Another user in a reddit thread noted that they have a docker with a custom IP - I do as well (unifi docker, custom 192.168.1.x static IP to use for my "inform" address).

Might be related to the other bug report listed here:
    https://forums.unraid.net/bug-reports/stable-releases/690691-kernel-panic-due-to-netfilter-nf_nat_setup_info-docker-host-access-macvlan-r1356/

When people encounter issues like these, the first thing to try is starting the system in safe mode and stop (temporary) docker containers. This is to make sure that any plugins and docker are not the culprit.

It happened all too often that people run older versions of libraries (due to plugins or other customizations), which conflict with the latest versions which come with a new Unraid release.

thank you all for your responds...

I never needed to restart my server every morning, now i need to do that... it could be that my configuration or plugins are causing that in this new version of unraid...

i am going to disable SSD trim plugin as first because i saw this morning error on monitor "/dev/loop2 error "... and loop2 is cache i think...and trim was scheduled to do job every night... so, we will see...

Regards.

Miki

1 hour ago, medolino2009 said:

i saw this morning error on monitor "/dev/loop2 error "... and loop2 is cache i think

Loop2 is (usually) the docker.img. The easiest solution is to delete it and recreate it.

5 minutes ago, John_M said:

Loop2 is (usually) the docker.img. The easiest solution is to delete it and recreate it.

i did that yesterday already.... didn't help... this morning was server frozen again (browser was left open, so i saw CPU in red on 100%, and i couldn't even ping it anymore, before i restarted it (press on restart button on computer case)  )

3 minutes ago, medolino2009 said:

didn't help...

It should have fixed the loop2 error. It sounds like you have a number of problems. You ought to start a new thread in the General Help section and include your diagnostics.

ok, after removing ssd trim yesterday, my server this morning was just fine...it kept working... we will see if this remains so...

EDIT: ohh yes, i disabled "spin down delay" for cache drive also...not sure if this could be something to consider also...

regards

Miki

Edited by medolino2009
    On 3/18/2021 at 1:16 PM, medolino2009 said:

ok, after removing ssd trim yesterday, my server this morning was just fine...it kept working... we will see if this remains so...

EDIT: ohh yes, i disabled "spin down delay" for cache drive also...not sure if this could be something to consider also...

regards

Miki

I'm experiencing the same issues as you - freeze and unresponsive system after several hours of running 6.9.1. The server doesn't take any input in the Unraid web interface (reboot or shutdown doesn't work, cancelling the parity check doesn't work, it just continues). I reverted back to 6.9.0 and everything is working like a clock - I also have 32GB of RAM. 2 of my CPU cores are running 100% without end - one of the VM cores, and one of the Docker cores. So, could you please update us - are you running 6.9.1 still, and it's working after you removed SSD Trim..? Or did you downgrade in order to make it work?

EDIT: Rephrasing that it's working like a clock on 6.9.0 after I reverted back - it absolutely is not. I'm seeing the same issues, although I'm able to use browsers in VMs... Other network access is not possible, can't even open Windows Explorer, the docker tab in Unraid GUI is not accessible, can't access to shut down the server. Finally everything freezes.

Edited by mrtrilby