• [All Versions/Documentation] Discrepancy

JokesOnYou77
    • Minor

Sorry if this isn't the right place for this but it seemed like the best option. 

Issue

The descriptions of Share access controls differs between different parts of the official documentation.  The descriptions of Private and Secure controls appear to be swapped between the Storage Management docs and the Security Best Practices guide

Given the desire to make security best practices clear and easy to follow, this discrepancy could make it hard for new users to understand what they should do. 

Suggested Fix

1. Update docs to be correct
    2. Find a way to have a single source of truth for the future (maybe through templating?)

I'm pretty new to the UnRAID community so I apologize if I've missed any posting norms. 

-- Jokes 

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Yes, the wiki is wrong. The blog is using a screenshot from the builtin help in the webUI and that is correct.

@JokesOnYou77   If you spot any such discrepancies then please continue to point them out so they can be corrected.

it is worth pointing out that the help built into the GUI should always be considered the most authorative source as that will be created by whoever is involved in the implementation.

Seconding what @itimpi has stated here, we will be updating docs to reflect best practices.  Thanks for bringing this to our attention and please, continue to make us aware of anything that is confusing, inaccurate, or out of date with the wiki.

• Like 1

Glad I could be helpful. 

I'll definitely continue to keep an eye out for documentation issues as I progress on my build. 

Is there an official place to report errata in the Online Manual, @jonp? I've spotted one in this section (not counting the trivial one in the title). The xfs_repair command needs to be all lower case, as I've written it, not XFS_repair, as it is shown.