Rebooting takes forever

jowi

I notice that after a reboot, once i get the unraid login (with ipmi) the array/disks are not up yet. 

In fact, it takes 4-6 minutes for the disks to show up? They get online one by one... disk1.... few minutes later disk 2... etc.

The last to arrive is user and cache.

Why is this? I never had this with previous versions?

Everytime i reboot i'm scared to death, where are my discs? What is happening?

Also, until the array is online, there is NO GUI... so you can't see what is going on. There is only a prompt if you login.

So after a reboot, which basically takes 30-40 seconds, you are left in the dark for 4-6 minutes in which you can not do anything... surely this is not by design?

Edited by jowi
3 hours ago, jowi said:

They get online one by one... disk1.... few minutes later disk 2... etc.

If few minutes between each disk then how come 6 min will complete bootup ?

You mean slow/stuck in disk detection show at console or Web GUI ?

3 hours ago, jowi said:

Everytime i reboot i'm scared to death

Also that slow if system boot from power off ?

Well it’s 9 disks, so maybe its 30-40 seconds a disk, i don’t know, i can’t see what is actually happening.... and yes this is from power off.

Again, all this time the gui is unavailable, i can only see what is happening in a console and looking at /mnt to see that after a few minutes (!) after restart/reboot, disk1 appears and then after 30-40-50 seconds disk2 etc.

Once all the disks incl. /user and /cache show up, the gui starts.

i’ll try to add diagnostics but that also takes forever to complete...

Edited by jowi
20 minutes ago, jowi said:

its 30-40 seconds a disk

It abnormal, usually should be several seconds. ( console disk detection )

20 minutes ago, jowi said:

Again, all this time the gui is unavailable, i can only see what is happening in a console and looking at /mnt to see that after a few minutes (!) after restart/reboot, disk1 appears and then after 30-40-50 seconds disk2 etc.

My one also need wait 3min+ to got the GUI, disk detect in console one by one and GUI also blackout, then all appear in once.

Does parity check speed normal ? Disk in encrypt or not ? CPU clock rate normal ?

Edited by Vr2Io

Parity check is ok. Average of about 130Mb/s. CPU looks ok to.

The delay seems to be a reiserfs issue where it is replaying transactions after a dirty powerdown. 

The server sometimes just stops responding totally and needs rebooting, Why this is is a mystery still.