Accidentally overwrote all my files using the app data backup tool

Of course /mnt/cache/Media is included in /mnt/user/Media, but /mnt/user/Media also includes files from other disks. What I asked was whether you had it configured to backup to 

4 hours ago, chalkdust said:

/mnt/cache/Media

like you said in your post, or whether it was configured to write to /mnt/user/Media like in your screenshot.

I think it must have been /mnt/cache/Media or it would have wiped out the /mnt/user/Media files on the other disks too.

So i just discovered that there IS a separate community applications appdata backup in a separate folder (still in my /mnt/user/Media folder) created about the same time i lost my files. 

I guess it made the folder (which is what i wanted to happen) but still wiped out the rest of the data in /mnt/user/Media?

Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 3.18.47 PM.png

Edited by chalkdust
Fixed path
39 minutes ago, chalkdust said:

So i just discovered that there IS a separate community applications appdata backup in a separate folder (still in my /mnt/usr/Media folder) created about the same time i lost my files. 

I guess it made the folder (which is what i wanted to happen) but still wiped out the rest of the data in /mnt/usr/Media?

Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 3.18.47 PM.png

That is where it backed up your appdata, as specified in the settings in the screenshot you posted. It was the path set for backing up the USB flash drive that caused the problem.

42 minutes ago, chalkdust said:

a separate community applications appdata backup in a separate folder (still in my /mnt/usr/Media folder)

Not according to the screenshot of /mnt/user/Media you posted earlier. Looks like you specified a different share for that appdata named CommunityApplicationsAppdataBackup.

Also, you said /mnt/usr in your post instead of /mnt/user. Very important you get these things right. A path at /mnt/usr isn't actually storage and so would be in RAM like the rest of the OS.

ok sorry i made a few mistakes in that last post. i was viewing from another machine and got the path names wrong.  I edited the above post for clarity.

It seems there was a new share created (its not in my /mnt/user/Media as i said above) called CommunityApplicationsAppdataBackup. I assume it got created when i did the backup. 

And by the way, the sequence of events was as such:  I was updating plugins (i believe it was community applications) and a modal or interstitial appeared and said something to the effect of You have not backed up in a while or ever, do you want to now? I selected yes, i cant remember if it took me to another screen or did it there but i at no point specified a share for a backup to be saved to.  It did it all its self with the only input from me being a proceed click.

I'm now actually not sure of how the files on my /mnt/user/Media all got deleted and replaced with a copy of my USB drive.