I woke up to a drive being unmountable, unsure what it is or what to do. Can anyone here help?

sloob

Disk1 was already unmountable when you booted and syslog doesn't tell us anything before that. SMART attributes for disk1 look OK though.

Also noticed docker.img isn't within any user share. The usual convention these days is to put it in the system share. Do you know what disk it is on?

You will have to repair the filesystem on disk1.

https://wiki.unraid.net/Check_Disk_Filesystems#Checking_and_fixing_drives_in_the_webGui

Thank you for the help, I ran the test with the -n option and it found a ton of errors. The next step would be to perform the test again but with no option I imagine but I am unable to do so. it gives me the following error:

Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
Phase 2 - using internal log
        - zero log...
ERROR: The filesystem has valuable metadata changes in a log which needs to
be replayed.  Mount the filesystem to replay the log, and unmount it before
re-running xfs_repair.  If you are unable to mount the filesystem, then use
the -L option to destroy the log and attempt a repair.
Note that destroying the log may cause corruption -- please attempt a mount
of the filesystem before doing this.

Should I go ahead and add the -L option? if worse comes to worst I can always format the drive and rebuild it using the parity right?

4 minutes ago, sloob said:

add the -L option

Yes, Unraid has already determined the disk can't be mounted so that is what you have to do.

5 minutes ago, sloob said:

if worse comes to worst I can always format the drive and rebuild it using the parity right?

ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!

Format is a write operation. Format means "write an empty filesystem to this disk". That is what it has always meant in every operating system you have ever used. Unraid treats that write operation exactly as it does any other, but updating parity. So after formatting a disk in the parity array, parity agrees the disk has an empty filesystem. So rebuilding a formatted disk can only result in a formatted disk.

No point in formatting it outside the array either. Rebuild will completely overwrite the disk whether you format it or clear it or even put it in Windows and fill it up with files. It is just formatting it in the array that will make it impossible to rebuild.

Unfortunately, rebuilding an unmountable filesytem will almost always result in an unmountable filesystem.

On 12/18/2020 at 7:00 PM, trurl said:

On second thought that looks extremely slow. Is that typical for your system? I would expect 2TB parity to take less than 6 hours.

I'm sorry I never got your message, In the end it took about 8 hours total. This morning I woke up to the exact same error, Is it the drive that's faulty you think?

FYI diagnostics already includes SMART for all connected disks as well as syslog since last reboot and many other things.

Nothing obviously wrong with the disk but you haven't done any SMART tests on it. You might run and extended SMART test.

Since you rebooted before getting those diagnostics nothing in syslog that might indicate what happened. You will have to repair it again.

Do you have backups of everything important and irreplaceable?

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2020 at 5:23 PM, trurl said:

FYI diagnostics already includes SMART for all connected disks as well as syslog since last reboot and many other things.

Nothing obviously wrong with the disk but you haven't done any SMART tests on it. You might run and extended SMART test.

Since you rebooted before getting those diagnostics nothing in syslog that might indicate what happened. You will have to repair it again.

Do you have backups of everything important and irreplaceable?

After a few days it happened again! (unmountable:No file system error.) and now I didn't reboot. Here is the file.

unraid-diagnostics-20210103-2051.zip

Just now, itimpi said:

The syslog reports lots of read errors on disk2, and there is no SMART information for the drive suggesting it has dropped offline for some reason.

It's strange because the issue is with disk1 (the unmountable:No file system error appears on disk1, not disk2)