Barracuda LP 2TB 5,900 RPM SATA 79.99

lovswr

I'm currently running 2 of these in my unraid server.  I was running them on a Windows 7 server in a raid 0 config.  After about a year one or both have started clicking from time to time.  This is the reason I backed up my data and switched to unraid and then migrated the data back to the drives in hopes of having some level of protection should the drive/drives dies.  I ran their Seatools diag. software and the drives tested fine still with the clicking. :-\

These Seagate drives are notorious for "The Click of Death".  Check the comments on Newegg.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148487

21201185657am.png

I had one of these fail in a horrible way that caused me months of grief. And the second one bought at the same time has writes in the 10 MB/sec range for about the last 200G.   I personally won't be buying more of these.

What firmware version did they have?

Came with CC34 but I immediately updated to CC35. I am going to do a post on my experience. Learned a few things but it was a pain!

I did want to add that this is anecdotal. Obviously lots of people have problems with other drives and good luck with these. It's just hard to buy another if you have a bad experience with the first ones you buy.

Came with CC34 but I immediately updated to CC35. I am going to do a post on my experience. Learned a few things but it was a pain!

I did want to add that this is anecdotal. Obviously lots of people have problems with other drives and good luck with these. It's just hard to buy another if you have a bad experience with the first ones you buy.

All information is welcome.  Clearly anyone having or thinking of buying these want all the information they can get.

Archived