[SOLVED] Running out of memory every day, Grrr

I am running plex, roon, handbrake, binkex-krusader, wireguard, and duckdns on 16gb of RAM. I keep running out of memory about once a day.

For a little more detail:

The Plex DVR functionality with commercial removal, then I handbrake the files, and use krusader to move the files.

Roon is connected to a number of albums 

Also how do I make sure that swap memory is running on my cache drive

mediaserver-diagnostics-20201230-1756.zip

29 minutes ago, James Struble said:

I am running plex, roon, handbrake, binkex-krusader, wireguard, and duckdns on 16gb of RAM. I keep running out of memory about once a day.

For a little more detail:

Is Plex recording from HDHomeRun and do you have Plex set to transcode in RAM? 

I used to run out of memory for HDHR HD records when there were overlapping 1-hour+ records.  HDHR changed a few months ago to make it possible to time shift through recordings in progress.  If Plex is set to transcode to RAM, HDHR records are using a LOT more RAM than they used to.  It was taking up to 16GB RAM per recording session and I had only 32GB RAM.

I now have 64GB RAM and have limited the RAM transcoding location to 16GB forcing Plex to clean up more often and I have configured the HDHR records to transcode to smaller file sizes while recording.  That seems to work well and I have not seen the RAM issues I used to have in quite a while.

image.png.2323ef4510385a6f843f0be200b198c8.png

i wasn't able to tell what's causing the problem, but definitely seeing the error in your syslog. plex is often the culprit. couple ways to handle it. next time it happens, type htop in the terminal and take a look at the memory processes running and see if you can identify the culprit. another way would be to disable all the containers, except for one at a time and see which one is using up all your mem. once you find the container causing problems, go into the container settings page, and in the extra parameters you can manually limit the amount of memory a container can use by entering something similar to the following:

--memory=8G

More info on this can be found here.

You may have to play around with the amount of ram that you allocate. if plex is the problem, limiting ram may cause problems on a live stream transcode and commercial removal (hopefully not, but best case it will most likely increase the amount of time it takes to process these files). hopefully the problem is handbrake, in which case limiting it's memory usage will also increase process times, but that's better than the alternative. it also looks like you have two empty DIMM slots, filling those will almost certainly help your problem 😉

1 hour ago, James Struble said:

Cpt, thanks. I have added the following variable and we will see how it goesimage.png.6f993ad9a907959e673c7f81235e10bd.png

I do not think that will work :(   

The option should be added to the ‘extra parameters’ section of the container’s template. When editing the settings for the container you need to switch to the Advanced view using the toggle at upper right to see that field.

• JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] Running out of memory every day, Grrr