[RESOLVED] How do I permanently remove a 2 drive mirror cache safely?

Rizlaw

I'm running unRAID 6.3 Pro with a cache mirror consisting of two Western Digital Green 2TB drives. It's slow and I want to totally remove both cache drives permanently without damaging the rest of my array and data.

Oddly, my past reading of the UR Manual does not explain how to do this. My search of this forum yielded 1000 results on "How to remove cache drives". I read the first 10 pages which did not provide a specific answer to my problem. I gave up reading the rest.

I'd greatly appreciate a step by step explanation describing how to do this safely.

Thanks for any help.

Edited by Rizlaw
Problem resolved

If you have no files on the cache and nothing configured to use it then you can simply stop the array; unassigned the cache drives; and then restart the array.

if you have files on the cache or have dockets/VMs configured to use the cache then you would first need to take steps to rectify this before removing the cache drives.

itimpi,

I couldn't find an option to "unassign" the 2 cache drives, but I did find and select a "no" option which seemed to remove the drives and also give me 2 red warning boxes that the cache drives were missing.  However, to the right of the greyed out start button, there was a message, which, if checked, said the cache drives would be removed and the array reconfigured without the cache drives. I clicked the box with a "check" mark and the array restarted with the two red warning boxes gone.

Here is a screenshot of my system after removing the 2 cache drives and restarting the array.

x-special/nautilus-clipboard
289670193_Screenshotfrom2021-01-1811-56-41.thumb.png.7113de93abdc59ba4c6038421c132272.png

Can I now power down the array and remove the 2 drives and then restart the array without any problems?

• Rizlaw changed the title to [RESOLVED] How do I permanently remove a 2 drive mirror cache safely?