Deleting from appdata subfolder not on cache disk?

bclinton

I worked through a self inflicted problem today (8 hours - lol) and finally got everything back the way I had it with one problem.....my appdata folder is on the cache drive except for one subfolder and I can't figure out how to delete it or even get to it for that matter. It happened when I unmounted my cache and mover kicked in. Anyways it would be great to remove it because it makes the appdata folder show up as a combined size instead of the size of the cache drive only. 

5.55 TBinstead of 960 gigs free that it should indicate. Can someone please point me in the right direction. My trying to delete it earlier got me all screwed up but I learned a lot figuring out what I had done....

Capture.JPG

Capture4.JPG

40 minutes ago, bclinton said:

Can someone please point me in the right direction

You need to be very careful with this but I have come across a few cases where a folder could not be deleted in Windows. 

I recently upgraded my cache drive and followed the procedure outlined in the wiki that involved temporarily moving appdata to the array and then back to the new cache drive.  All went well but I had one folder that did not move and, as far as I could tell, it was empty.  I could not delete it through Windows and it was "stuck" on disk 4 as part of appdata.

In this case, start a terminal session from the GUI (or use PuTTY or whatever you prefer to get to the command line).

From the command line go the folder one level above what you are trying to delete with this command:

cd /mnt/disk1/{parent folder name}

In my case I just did  "cd /mnt/disk4" because I had the appdata folder with just one folder inside it which was empty and I wanted to delete the whole appdata structure from disk4 and appdata was at the root of the disk.

Next type this command (be very careful you are in the right location on your disk to be doing this as it will delete EVERYTHING from that point on in the designated folder structure):

rm -rf {name of folder which you want deleted with all its folder/file contents}

the -r recursively deletes everything in the specified folder) the "f" force deletes it even if the permissions are not correct.

In my example I typed "rm -rf appdata" because it had a subfolder.  If you have no subfolders in the folder you want to delete, you can leave off the "r" and just add -f.

Hope this helps.  Again, be VERY careful before you do any "rm" command from the command line.  If you screw up and type "rm -rf *" you will blow away EVERYTHING on the disk.  DO NOT use any wildcards and be sure to just delete a particular folder name.

9 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

You need to be very careful with this but I have come across a few cases whe

re a folder could not be deleted in Windows. 

I recently upgraded my cache drive and followed the procedure outlined in the wiki that involved temporarily moving appdata to the array and then back to the new cache drive.  All went well but I had one folder that did not move and, as far as I could tell, it was empty.  I could not delete it through Windows and it was "stuck" on disk 4 as part of appdata.

Thank you! Messing around with removing and adding the cash to fix what I thought was an issue is what cost me about 8 hours today :)

20 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

You need to be very careful with this but I have come across a few cases where a folder could not be deleted in Windows. 

Worked great. My hand was shaking as I hit enter :)

One little issue left....my space indicator for the appdata share still shows 5.56 free. Will that update after a reboot? I tried doing a compute all and start stop array and it didn't change.

Edited by bclinton
35 minutes ago, bclinton said:

One little issue left....my space indicator for the appdata share still shows 5.56 free. Will that update after a reboot? I tried doing a compute all and start stop array and it didn't change.

did you also delete the (hopefully now empty) appdata folder off that drive?   Until you do that drives space will be included in the space calculations for the appdata share.