VirtualBox in unRAID

Don't want unRAID working in KVM.

By this you mean you don't want unRAID Slackware os to be the host os?

Want KVM working on top of unRAID.

Instead you want another os (such as openSUSE) to be the host os and unRAID running in a vm?

Just trying to get a clear picture of what you are looking for.

I spent a fair amount of time looking at what ddeeds was putting together on KVM before the blowup yesterday.  In any case will be looking into this once I receive the last of my backup hardware (same as in my sig below).  Unfortunately I am a linux novice so this may take me a while (a lot more than 10 minutes).

I have concerns about where VMware is headed.  And they have made operations such as vm backup more difficult for us free users than it should be.  I just have this feeling that at some point in time they will just tell us to go away.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Instead you want another os (such as openSUSE) to be the host os and unRAID running in a vm?

I spent a fair amount of time looking at what ddeeds was putting together on KVM before the blowup yesterday.  In any case will be looking into this once I receive the last of my backup hardware (same as in my sig below).  Unfortunately I am a linux novice so this may take me a while (a lot more than 10 minutes).

I have concerns about where VMware is headed.  And they have made operations such as vm backup more difficult for us free users than it should be.  I just have this feeling that at some point in time they will just tell us to go away.

Actually I was assuming badger wanted unRAID installed in a KVM VM.  I want unRAID to be running on bare metal on my N54L with an installable KVM plugin (or XEN plugin) like XEN running on linux distro.  I would then install Windows VMs on it like I have with VirtualBox now.  It should run faster then VirtualBox I would think.

Actually I was assuming badger wanted unRAID installed in a KVM VM.  I want unRAID to be running on bare metal on my N54L with an installable KVM plugin (or XEN plugin) like XEN running on linux distro.  I would then install Windows VMs on it like I have with VirtualBox now.  It should run faster then VirtualBox I would think.

For your purposes that may be advantageous but for me a prefer the current structure like that in ESXi.  I think both should be achievable.  I just prefer to keep my vms clean, hence no complex plugins.  Badger should be able to clear this up in short order.

For your purposes that may be advantageous but for me a prefer the current structure like that in ESXi.  I think both should be achievable.  I just prefer to keep my vms clean, hence no complex plugins.  Badger should be able to clear this up in short order.

As I said in my original post I have 3 ESXi servers that I was thinking about changing to XEN or KVM and running a unRAID VM on each.  However for my N54L I want unRAID to be bare metal which this (VirtualBox) plugin allows.  Which is what this thread is about.  I have very few plugins running on my N54L besides VirtualBox.

As I said in my original post I have 3 ESXi servers that I was thinking about changing to XEN or KVM and running a unRAID VM on each.  However for my N54L I want unRAID to be bare metal which this (VirtualBox) plugin allows.  Which is what this thread is about.  I have very few plugins running on my N54L besides VirtualBox.

Okay I understand now.  Thanks for clearing that up.

yes i did get it working as a VM on a KVM host OS (arch).

http://docs.slackware.com/howtos:general_admin:kvm_libvirt

that's how you get KVM itself running on slackware. looks simple enough, i just dont have the time.

It looks like it should be easy to use KVM insted if virtualbox as a plugin!

http://www.altctrldel.com/homepage/HTML/slackware-12.2-kvm-virtualization-epkg.html

http://www.unixwerk.eu/linux/slack/kvm4win.html

yes i did get it working as a VM on a KVM host OS (arch).

http://docs.slackware.com/howtos:general_admin:kvm_libvirt

that's how you get KVM itself running on slackware. looks simple enough, i just dont have the time.

It looks like it should be easy to use KVM insted if virtualbox as a plugin!

http://www.altctrldel.com/homepage/HTML/slackware-12.2-kvm-virtualization-epkg.html

http://www.unixwerk.eu/linux/slack/kvm4win.html

This is why KVM is great, it's built right into mainstream Linux kernels. No need to compile extra software like xen (although xen is still pretty great).

From a guess all tom would need to do, if he's interested in pursuing this for his 4 xbmcs in a box idea, is follow that guide on a full Slackware install (or mod unraid for us to include these features) and that's that.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

@nars I DL your new file VirtualBox-4.3.4_3.9.11p-unRAID.txz

and got this error

rc.virtualbox[12830]: VirtualBox package kernel v does not match unRAID kernel v3.9.11p - no plugin installed

shall try to rename it....

edit

root@tower:/boot/config/plugins/virtualbox# installpkg vbox-4.3.4-unRAID-3.9.11p.tgz
Verifying package vbox-4.3.4-unRAID-3.9.11p.tgz.

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
Installing package vbox-4.3.4-unRAID-3.9.11p.tgz:
PACKAGE DESCRIPTION:
WARNING:  Package has not been created with 'makepkg'
Package vbox-4.3.4-unRAID-3.9.11p.tgz installed.

root@tower:/boot/config/plugins/virtualbox# /etc/rc.d/rc.virtualbox install
rc.virtualbox[14075]: Installing Virtualbox package (v4.3.4)...

+==============================================================================
| Skipping package vbox-4.3.4-unRAID-3.9.11p (already installed)

unlink: cannot unlink `/root/.VirtualBox': No such file or directory
rc.virtualbox[14156]: Symbolically linked /mnt/cache/VirtualBox/vbox to /root/.VirtualBox
rc.virtualbox[14157]: Installing Virtualbox Extension package (v4.3.4)...
/etc/rc.d/rc.virtualbox: line 303: VBoxManage: command not found

root@tower:/boot/config/plugins/virtualbox# ls -altr
total 146400
-rwxrwxrwx  1 root root      438 2013-11-20 19:50 virtualbox.cfg*
-rwxrwxrwx  1 root root       51 2013-11-28 16:24 vms_session.cfg*
drwxrwxrwx 26 root root    32768 2013-11-28 19:14 ../
-rwxrwxrwx  1 root root 10418359 2013-12-01 06:46 Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.3.4.vbox-extpack*
-rwxrwxrwx  1 root root 64169984 2013-12-01 07:54 VBoxGuestAdditions_4.3.4.iso*
drwxrwxrwx  2 root root    32768 2013-12-01 08:13 old1/
-rwxrwxrwx  1 root root     5324 2013-12-01 08:20 virtualbox.png*
drwxrwxrwx  2 root root    32768 2013-12-01 08:54 pld/
-rwxrwxrwx  1 root root 75055668 2013-12-01 08:58 vbox-4.3.4-unRAID-3.9.11p.tgz*
drwxrwxrwx  4 root root    32768 2013-12-01 09:01 ./

It was error, you can see my edit post above

I see this ...

VBoxManage: command not found

I'm going  to do a reboot ......

EDIT

Same error using /etc/rc.d/rc.virtualbox install

root@tower:~# /etc/rc.d/rc.virtualbox install
rc.virtualbox[1000]: Installing Virtualbox package (v4.3.4)...

| Skipping package vbox-4.3.4-unRAID-3.9.11p (already installed)

unlink: cannot unlink `/root/.VirtualBox': No such file or directory
rc.virtualbox[1084]: Symbolically linked /mnt/cache/VirtualBox/vbox to /root/.Vi                                                                       rtualBox
rc.virtualbox[1085]: Installing Virtualbox Extension package (v4.3.4)...
/etc/rc.d/rc.virtualbox: line 303: VBoxManage: command not found

Problem is that it is a .txz not .tgz and if you rename it to .tgz installpkg will not like it... plugin would need some changes to handle .txz but I can upload you a .tgz in a few minutes.

Edit: Done. Download the .tgz at http://nars.aloj.net/temp/unraid/

This one haves the filename the plugin expects (I don't use the plugin that's why I wasn't aware of that restriction), though note that you may need to reboot as plugin seems to think your renamed package has been installed and in fact it wasn't, then it may just skip it now.

WARNING: NO ONE ELSE TRY TO RUN COMMANDS AS-IS ON THIS POST AS /dev/sdc IS CURRENTLY CACHE DISK FOR peter_sm SYSTEM, NOT FOR OTHERS!!!

@peter_sm: if you look at your syslog:

Dec  1 09:18:02 tower emhttp: shcmd (45): mkdir /mnt/cache

Dec  1 09:18:02 tower emhttp: shcmd (46): set -o pipefail ; mount -t reiserfs -o user_xattr,acl,noatime,nodiratime /dev/sdc1 /mnt/cache |& logger

The two ones in bold/red are the ones you need to run to manually mount cache disk, run this having array stopped, then when you don't need it anymore, make sure nothing using it, and to unmount it run: umount /mnt/cache

Cool :)  Now we have a mystery why lainie package do it then, but possible when he compile it based on 5.0.3 kernel it should be solved.

Edit: Btw, I did also changed and re-uploaded my vboxpkgc.sh script to auto-create package filenames in the same format as lainie packages, to avoid such problems with the plugin.

new script give me this error at the end, but I forgot to change to new version....

opt/VirtualBox/uninstall.sh
opt/VirtualBox/routines.sh

Slackware package ../vbox-4.3.2-unRAID-3.9.11p.tgz created.

cp: cannot stat `VirtualBox-4.3.2_3.9.11p-unRAID.txz': No such file or directory
root@Tower-VM:/boot/dev#

That error is not part of my vboxpkgc.sh script... guess you made yourself yet a 3rd script with the steps I posted? then the problem is obviously the last cp to just copy the created package to the flash... I didn't explained it ( and I can't edit my previous post anymore due to recent changes on forum :( ) but sure that needs to match the package file created, and the target where you want to copy it to....

I compiled VirtualBox 4.3.4 using 5.03 for kernel 3.9.11p. I'm not using 5.03 yet so have not tested. Since peter_sm is up using the file from nars, he may not want to test a different version. However if anyone has any issues with what I compiled, please post to my thread VirtualBox compiled for unRAID. If there is still an issue, not sure what would help, but at least others will know / be aware of the issue so someone may have a solution.