XBMC + unRAID and whatelse?

kizer

I currently have my unRAID setup with all my videos with NFO's stored on it so XMBC can scrape and store all of its thumbnails and nfos into its database from any machine in the house.

I'm currently looking at maybe picking up something like the WD Live Plus for my office so I can use a little device and watch it on my LCD TV without dedicating another PC for watching.

Does the WD Live Plus simply use a file view or can it scrape the info from what I already have sitting on my unRAID machine or does it use something else in its own format?

I keep seeing PopCorn Hour mentioned here and there and I'm wondering what format it uses too.

I guess in short I'm trying to keep it simple without having to re-scrape all my videos to adjust to another system if I don't have to, but at the same time I'd like to free up a PC and not have to run XBMC on a computer.

Anybody have any suggestions or does every system work simply different.

I don't have the WD Live TV Plus, but I do have the WD Live TV. I believe they work the same.

All the device does is browse the file servers you present it. It can do simple thumbnails, or as I use it, in file list mode. If you are looking for simplistic operation, then I can recommend WD Live TV. It will play a wide range of formats, and is very basic. I believe the "Plus" is the added feature of Netflix.

For me, all I want is a simplistic access to my videos (and music), and this is it. It can do other small functions, but I have never cared for any. It has a small, easy to fit in the hand remote, and it works browsing my unRAID and plays the videos. The device itself is small, and takes very little room on my TV stand. It is also selling these days for about $92.00 or so.

Hope this helps.

Bruce

I totally forgot about the Apple2. It can run XBMC and it would scrape my already XMBC friendly files setup just for it. I just need to see if it Transcodes on the fly or if XBMC just plays.

I've always ignored Apple until my wife brought home an iPad and now I'm very intriqued with some of their products.

I was personally looking at the WD Live Plus because I know it can run files in a simple way and/or you can customize it, but I wasn't sure if it would have to rescrape all my files in another way for it to use.

the only drawback i see with the ATV2 is that it only handles 720p, it will not play 1080 files. While this might not be a huge drawback if it is going in the kids room, when being played on a 120" screen i would like the best possible resolution available.

other than that, i believe that for the price i like either the ATV2 or the WD TV Live series.

just my 2 cents

the only drawback i see with the ATV2 is that it only handles 720p, it will not play 1080 files. While this might not be a huge drawback if it is going in the kids room, when being played on a 120" screen i would like the best possible resolution available.

other than that, i believe that for the price i like either the ATV2 or the WD TV Live series.

just my 2 cents

Not true.

It will play 1080 files just fine.

It only outputs all files at 720p.

okay, that may be true, but is there really a difference? that is like saying your car will do 200mph but is governed at 120mph. it can still only go as fast as the current equipment and limitations will allow it to go. until there is a way to lift the restrictions off of the ATV2 to play 1080 files (which from what i have read there is not... yet) it is the same thing. for the cost though i think it is a wonderful companion to anything under the 55" screen category.

playing on a 26" screen would be perfect though.

Not true.

Now this is what I understand, so it might not be completely accurate. The playing of 1080p files is only true for a JailBreaked ATV2 running XBMC to play the file, without JailBreaking+XBMC the ATV2 will only play 720p content.

Not true.

Now this is what I understand, so it might not be completely accurate. The playing of 1080p files is only true for a JailBreaked ATV2 running XBMC to play the file, without JailBreaking+XBMC the ATV2 will only play 720p content.

The HDMI output of ATV2 is locked in 720p resolution, the hardware is capable of decoding H264@1080p, but the output will be downsized to 720p.

okay, that may be true, but is there really a difference? that is like saying your car will do 200mph but is governed at 120mph. it can still only go as fast as the current equipment and limitations will allow it to go. until there is a way to lift the restrictions off of the ATV2 to play 1080 files (which from what i have read there is not... yet) it is the same thing. for the cost though i think it is a wonderful companion to anything under the 55" screen category.

playing on a 26" screen would be perfect though.

Yes, there is a BIG difference.

Your post says the atv will only handle 720 files. This isnt true

With xbmc, it will handle 1080 files just fine, it will only output them at 720. This makes a big difference for someone who has a lot of 1080 rips and might dismiss buying the atv2  because they think it wont play their files.

Not trying to argue, just want to avoid any confusion.

I have an appletv2 setup with my unRaid box.  I have it attached to a 46" LCD tv, connected to the network via power-line Ethernet jacks.  I am able to watch 720p TV shows with no lag or stuttering...  ALSO apple TV has built in youtube, netfix and a bunch of other stuff.  When you JB the device the stock menu options stay there so you can still access this content.

For $99 and a 6W device it is a steal.  I doubt that your 26" LCD does 1080p and if it does I doubt the extra pixels will make a difference.  I would definitely go for the ATV2 in your case due to the price point, and low power of the devise if nothing else...

I haven't personally used an ATV2 with XBMC, but I do know the port is very new. While the XBMC developers are as good as they come for open-source, I would expect ATV2 to have its new platform hiccups for a while. Though $99 is tempting, I would spend and extra $50 - $75 on an Acer Aspire Revo. It has the NVIDIA ION Integrated Graphics, which XBMC can hardware acclerate. I have one and it cuts through 1080p like butter. It's small, quiet, an has HDMI output. I installed the XBMC Live edition (basically a stripped down version of Ubuntu) and couldn't be happier. And by installing it to a Linux platform, you open up a realm of possibilities for things to run in the background. Personally, I have a web server, rtorrent, and irssi always running in the background.

In the XBMC settings on the apple tv it has options for a few other remotes... but I only have the apple TV one so I am not completely sure.

I live in california and I am looking at the nice 6W power consumption for a solution to play 720p.  In the summer time I get up to $500/mo electric bill, so the 60 or so watts saved for using an apple TV over an nvidia Ion box is money in the bank for me, plus the apple TV costs the same if not less than an nvidia Ion setup (after you include board,ram,case)

To each his own, if you prefer the flexibility and the 1080p go for the Ion setup.  If you want to save $100/year or what ever the electric turns out to be go for the apple...

I haven't personally used an ATV2 with XBMC, but I do know the port is very new. While the XBMC developers are as good as they come for open-source, I would expect ATV2 to have its new platform hiccups for a while. Though $99 is tempting, I would spend and extra $50 - $75 on an Acer Aspire Revo. It has the NVIDIA ION Integrated Graphics, which XBMC can hardware acclerate. I have one and it cuts through 1080p like butter. It's small, quiet, an has HDMI output. I installed the XBMC Live edition (basically a stripped down version of Ubuntu) and couldn't be happier. And by installing it to a Linux platform, you open up a realm of possibilities for things to run in the background. Personally, I have a web server, rtorrent, and irssi always running in the background.

I have a Revo in the livingroom and atv2's in the bedrooms. While I agree the Revo is much better at this time and can do more than the ATV2 will probably ever do, the ATV2 does have some advantages. The main one being the built in Netflix client, which works very well. In addition to lower power consumption, built in s/pdif, and built in remote eye.

Also, I tried and havent been able to find a '$50-75 dollar more' Revo in quite some time. I bought mine for $161 and should have snagged 2 or 3 more at the time.

I have a Revo in the livingroom and atv2's in the bedrooms. While I agree the Revo is much better at this time and can do more than the ATV2 will probably ever do, the ATV2 does have some advantages. The main one being the built in Netflix client, which works very well. In addition to lower power consumption, built in s/pdif, and built in remote eye.

Also, I tried and havent been able to find a '$50-75 dollar more' Revo in quite some time. I bought mine for $161 and should have snagged 2 or 3 more at the time.

In my current application I find the Netfix extremely helpful.  I have a 2 year old, and it is very hard to find good quality kid show rips on the newsgroups (maybe I am doing it wrong).  But Netflix has a ton of kids stuff, seasons and seasons of stuff from NickJr and PBS Kids.  For me that is worth more than 1080p.  =)

It just supplements the library of things you already have!

What you said makes a HUGE amount of sense. Thats why I was considering the WD Live Plus in my office as a test and considering an option for my guest room where my kid watches tv now and then along with playing on the Wii and other things.

Thats why ATV2 and the WD Live Plus sound like winners. I'm really used to the interface of XBMC so the ATV2 has a huge advantage, but XBMC on it is rather new and the entire JailBreak today and again later if you reboot unless they finally got it figured out for windows.

best thing that ever happened to me was the discovery of Media-Portal two years ago.

this and only this software was the reason for starting an unraid server and digitalizing all my dvds and blu-rays

http://www.team-mediaportal.com/

its a fully customizable media player. its free / open source

ppl write extensions / plugins that everyone can easily add. insane solid skins, perfect smooth controlls.

of course automatic import options for every plugin you like. (movies, tv series and so on)

controllable via standard infrared remote or even the iphone.

you can use it on every low budget system like 2ghz, win XP. zotac boxes rock this f.exp.

just look for some media portal showcases on youtube.

so far its visually and functionally by far the best i've seen. (not to mention the instant support around their forums, like it is with unraid)