Add driver drive NCT6687

• 2 months later...

Hi, I have installed your plugin and I can only find in the dynamix system temp app the fan speed but not the CPU and mainboard temperature. And I cant detect you driver at 'Available Drivers' --> 'no drivers detected'.

I have a MSI B550M Mortar Wifi motherboard (Nuvoton NCT6687D-R) and a Ryzen 4650G APU. Do you have any idea if i am doing something wrong or is this plugin 'only' for the fan speed? Or where could be the error?

BR,

PeeFeS

Edited by PeeFeS
  • 2 years later...
38 minutes ago, NAS said:

Who is tracking feature requests these days @limetech this needs added to core.

Keep in mind this is a third party driver (there is no in-tree Kernel driver) and I‘ve already got users with (lets call them) exotic motherboards which had issues with this driver because the NCT drivers are all over the place and the manufacturer doesn‘t seem to be interested in supporting Linux at all (it may be also the case that they only have a small Linux team and they don‘t have the time/resources).

38 minutes ago, NAS said:

should be for edge cases only

Sad to say, because of the above it is such an edge case.

It‘s the same story with the 2.5 Gbit/s Realtek network drivers.

Right but it should be on users with problems to work around or disable modules and not for everyone else to hunt out and install addons for mainstream hardware.

To be clear I am not critiquing you work, it is excellent, but this is not a rare component and has been on countless boards now for >10 years.

It is a slippery slope.

12 hours ago, NAS said:

Right but it should be on users with problems to work around or disable modules and not for everyone else to hunt out and install addons for mainstream hardware.

But this is something you have to tell the manufacturer and that they post the drivers upstream to the Kernel.

12 hours ago, NAS said:

To be clear I am not critiquing you work, it is excellent, but this is not a rare component and has been on countless boards now for >10 years.

No worries but I also have to say that if the driver breaks because of a Kernel update I don‘t think it should be Limetechs problem to fix that because it‘s a third party driver. It‘s also the same over here, if the driver breaks I can only create an issue in the repo from the maintainer and then wait for a fix (or fix it myself it‘s a small issue).

I think you get my point here.

12 hours ago, NAS said:

but this is not a rare component and has been on countless boards now for >10 years.

It is a slippery slope.

Again, there is no upstream driver that manages to read or write all values, at least not without risk damaging your hardware.

Thats a slippery slope from the manufacturer in my opinion.