2nd parity drive question

Im still building out my new box. and so far for drives I've got this.

Single 8TB for parity

and Four 4TB drives for the array.

I was thinking of adding a second 4TB drive for parity. But Its giving me a warrning message saying parity invalid. Its that cause its not larger than the other 4TB drives? I thought the second parity could be the same size as the other drives in the array. If not Then I guess I'll skip the 2nd drive and just add this other one to the array.  I just was thinking having 2 disc failover would be smart with spinning discs now days.

8 minutes ago, Bizquick said:

Im still building out my new box. and so far for drives I've got this.

Single 8TB for parity

and Four 4TB drives for the array.

I was thinking of adding a second 4TB drive for parity. But Its giving me a warrning message saying parity invalid. Its that cause its not larger than the other 4TB drives? I thought the second parity could be the same size as the other drives in the array. If not Then I guess I'll skip the 2nd drive and just add this other one to the array.  I just was thinking having 2 disc failover would be smart with spinning discs now days.

You are correct in that the a€cone parity drive only needs to be at least as large as the largest data drive. 

Giving the exact error message (or even better a screen shot of the Main tab) that you get when you try might allow us to give a better view on why it might not have worked for you.

Well looking at it again it just looks like its a warning message. Which I think I saw this same thing similar on my trial box I still have running. It letting me do this. Its just a warning message after the rebuild which is 16 hours from now maybe it will go to normal. So I might be jumping the gun here. Sorry about that. I kind of miss the arrays speeds I had with ZFS and software raid. But I can live with out that better IO preformace with the other gains I get with this product.   I would rather have easy to setup Dockers and VM's. Also I like how a good amount of users are not pushing pure server grade products when its home use. I know I could get a older Rack server from work and load that up and get a lot of ECC RAM and dual CPU's with lots of cores. But in my condo I don't want that loud of a box running all the time. I like how I can load this up on some of my older desktop parts and just get a generic case with space to hold drives. only issue I have now is re-buying a better tower case with some HD cooling space. this case I got they got 2 good fans to cool the cage. But the front of it is all sealed up. So cant get Air on the drives. I'm going to have to drill some holes in the front and find some mesh I can glue down I guess.

2 hours ago, Bizquick said:

a warrning message saying parity invalid

Did you let build of 1st parity drive complete?

If possible before rebooting and preferably with the array started
Go to Tools - Diagnostics and attach the complete Diagnostics ZIP file to your NEXT post in this thread.